Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Past Simple or Present Perfect -active/passive    

Past Simple or Present Perfect -active/passive

eng789
Israel

Past Simple or Present Perfect -active/passive

I made up this exercise for my pupils as practise before their test and I would like to know if there is more than one possible answer.

I (1)_________(eat)   here last year but this is the first time I (2)_______ (try) the steak.  When we (3)__________(come) last time they only (4)__________ (serve) dairy.   The chef (5)_____________ (replace).  The food (6)____________ (not/be) that good before but I(7) ____________ hear that it (8) _______________ (improve).   That is why I (9)____________ (decide) to try it again. 

1. ate       2.   have tried      3.  came       4.  served     5.   has been replaced
6.  wasn �t          7.   heard /have heard         
8.     has been improved /has improved        9. have decided /decided

Thanking you in advance
Barbara

19 Jan 2011      

Apodo
Australia

I would say: I ate here a few times last year.......  because �the first time I�ve tried the steak� sounds as if there has been more than one opportunity to try it.

Hear is sometimes used informally in the simple present eg: I hear that you�ve got a new job. I hear the restaurant�s improved since they got the new chef.

All your other answers are OK. The possibilities you gave are all correct. There isn �t just one possible answer.

19 Jan 2011     

Zora
Canada

Let �s see, some other options could be.

I (1) had eaten/ate (eat)  here last year but this is the first time I (2) have tried (try) the steak.  When we (3) came (come) last time they only (4) served / were only serving  (serve) dairy.   The chef (5) has been/was replaced (replace).  The food  (6) wasn �t (not/be) that good before but I(7) have heard/heard that it (8) has improved/has been improved.   That is why I (9) have decided / decided(decide) to try it again. 

19 Jan 2011