Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Learning a new language    

Learning a new language

colibrita
United Kingdom

Learning a new language

I �d like to learn a new language, even though I don �t have a great deal of free time. Part of my motivation is that I �d like to be my own guinea pig, see first hand again what it �s like to be a beginner.

Any suggestions? I already know some Spanish, French and German.

And is anyone else currently learning a foreign language? Would love to hear about your experiences, get any advice on good books and other learning materials.

Thanks!

20 Jan 2011      

douglas
United States

My daughter is teaching herself Norwegian--it has some very different structures that would give you a good feel for how our students feel trying to learn things like teh concept of auxilliary verbs.  Don �t know how useful it would be though.  If you want a language that would be useful try Russian, one of the Chinese languages, or Japanese. 

Douglas

20 Jan 2011     

yetigumboots
Germany

Wow you are brave... well done. I would love to learn Italian but I don �t have enough hours in the day. I could help you with a bit of German if you like....Smile

20 Jan 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Try Danish - pretty hard!

20 Jan 2011     

Mariethe House
France

i am brushing up my Spanish on this site( see link below), which is great!Someone here gave the link a few weeks ago ... You can learn almost any language you choose to. It is based on sharing as well: You are corrected by native people who speak the language you want to learn and you correct people who learn your language! Not perfect but very interesting.

http://es-mx.livemocha.com/

20 Jan 2011     

chiaa2004
Iraq

try Kurdish language, a bit tough but can help if you are interested.

20 Jan 2011     

Flora1
Brazil

you should learn portuguese the spanish knowledge will help you.

Flora

20 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I studied Hebrew and it really helps me to understand the difficulties my students face. When they learn English they need to first master a new alphabet, a major obstacle.

I understand what they are going thru since I did it the other way around, for me the Hebrew alphabet was new, and for me the letters all looked alike! Even though i speak Hebrew fluently, even dream in Hebrew, I still have a much easier time reading in �my own � alphabet!

If you really want to enrich yourself...go for a language very different form your own..A different alphabet is a real challenge and shows you the difficulties one encounters on the way...There �s very rich literature to enjoy in Russian, Poetry in Arabic, Philosophy in Chinese,  etc, etc.  Wouldn �t it be wonderful to appreciate all of it in its original form ?

20 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

Liberty is right, from what I hear, Danish would be another one that would really give you a feel for what our students go through.

Douglas

20 Jan 2011     

sugarmomy
Portugal

I agree with Flora. Portuguese is very similar with Spanish.

20 Jan 2011     

rodrioli15
Portugal

I agree with Flora, but what about Russian? A different alphabet to learn is a real adventure. Unfortunately I learned it only for a year.
R.

20 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >