Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > comprehensive ANIMAL PROJECT - more TOPICS?    

comprehensive ANIMAL PROJECT - more TOPICS?

moravc
Czech Republic

comprehensive ANIMAL PROJECT - more TOPICS?

Hello dearest friends,
I have noticed that most animal printables consist of matching activities, description or scrambled words only. So...   I am making a list of activities - grammar topics or simple sentence structures connected with animals. Can you help me to find more? Which senteces / grammar topics can be used with ANIMALS???

ADJECTIVES - big, small, tiny, little, great, tall, strong, weak, heavy, light, clever, smart, stupid, funny, interesting, boring, long, short, spotty, stripy, dangerous, harmless, friendly, aggressive, slow, fast, happy, sad, ugly, nice, fat, slim, curly (tail), straight, round (ears/ eyes), pointed, good, bad, hungry, thirsty, beautiful, ugly, naughty, clumsy,  brave, coward, cute, loyal, energetic, lazy, quiet, noisy, shy, curious, sleepy, annoying, soft, hard,  carnivore, herbivore, meat-eating, hairy, nocturnal, diurnal, poisonous, cunning, hooked (beak), bushy (tail), thick (fur), 

comparatives, superlatives - It is smarter than a ... parrot
not as .... as... - It is not as intelligent as a chimpanzee but it is quite clever. Mr Bean is .... as ... funny ... as a ... monkey.
It is much/ a little bit ... faster...  than a ... cat,
opposites of adjectives - big/small, smart/stupid, etc. It is neither big nor small. It is an average size.

VERBS - bark, give - milk/wool/feathers ..., lay eggs, hop, skip, bite, eat, climb, fly, play with a ..., run, eat, crawls, we can ride it, stick a tongue out, clean its ...,, recognize, carry, turn, produce, catch,  sing, talk, breathe, chase, hunt, fish, cut a hole, change colours, open nuts, builds a nest, lie down, sting, attack, keep, hold its breath for, focus eyes separately, see through eyelids, walk backwards, crow, quack, moo, bark, meaw / mew, hiss, trop, trot, gallop, wobble, 

Has / Has got  + BODY pats - a mane/ wings/ a long tail, sharp teeth, long/short legs, hair, a small body, horns, strong claws, strong jaws, a long beak, a small nose, a big mouth, a strong neck, skin, sharp prickles, paws, fur, claws, fins, scales, have 2 eyelids,
HASN �T GOT  ANY ... legs, arms, eyes, eyelids, ears, horns, antlers, wings, tentacles, firs, feathers, fur, fins, scales, claws, teeth,
hasn �t got a tail, a shell, a trunk, a neck, a beak, a nose, a mouth, a tail, a horn,

MODALS - abilities - can, can �t, is able to, isn �t able to
certainty - must be, must have, can �t be, can �t climb...
needn �t, doesn �t have to ... drink, sleep, eat for many days, ...

LIKEs + dislikes - likes, loves, dislikes, hates, is scared of ... water, wolves, cats, It �s enemy is a ... dog. ...
VERB + like a ... - trot like a horse, hiss like a snake, crawl like a lizard, jump like a frog, move your neck like a zebra, open and close your mouth like a croco, sing like a bird, swing like a monkey, wobble like a octopus, be small like a bug, laugh like a hyena / jackal, carry a doll / a baby like a monkey,  

ADVERBS - sings beautifully, jumps far, climbs quickly, swims perfectly, runs extremely fast, sleeps long, eats a lot, drinks little, speaks funnily, builds nests nicely, .........?????

PRESENT SIMPLE + always, often, usually, sometimes, seldom, hardly ever, never, don �t, doesn �t
negative - it doesn �t eat ... meat / vegetables / bugs, it doesn �t live in water...
question tags - Lions live on plains, don �t they?  Of course they do!
word order - shuffled sentences in present simple

neither...nor - This animal neither lives in lakes nor in rivers. It can neither swim nor jump.

PREPOSITIONS - in, at, on - in the sea, in forrests, in the mountains, in rivers / lakes, lives in a sty, lives / sleeps in a water tank / cage / basket, lives in a colony, can find it on the beach, lives on farms, on the ......???, at zoo, at ...........???
prepositions + picture of an animal farm (It is behind a horse, flying above a stable, next to a pig, near to the pond...), above, under, below, between, among, in front of, behind, ...

CATegories - farm animals, wild, forrest, water/aquatic, sea/marine, zoo, water/land, African, Australian, birds / reptiles / amphibiants / insects / mammals / fish / marsupial,, , nocturnal /diurnal, endangeret, extint

regular and irregular PLURALS- sheep, deer, moose, bison, swine, fish, trout, salmon, pike, lice, mice, calves, wolves,
animal groups - a FLOCK of sheep..., herd, pack, school, colony, band, troop, clan...

POSSESSIVES - teacher covers a photo of an animal, the cover paper has a small hole and students guess the animal - students say: "I think it is a zebra. I can see zebra �s legs!"

SENTENCES:
It is an animal which ... lives in water / eats bugs / crawls / can sing well.
It is one of the strongest / biggest / funniest / most dangerous animal on our planet.
What is your pet like?
How many ... dogs ... are there in the picture?
Its favourite food is / are ... - vegetables. fruits, meat, insects, seed, nuts, grass,
good habits / bad habbits of pets

PAST tenses - When was the last time you saw ... a lion...? Where? When? What was it doing?

Animal RIDDLES - ss write descriptions, read them aloud, others guess
Shuffled names - animal word scramble

Proverbs + animals, sayings + if + animals, phrases,
amazing facts about animals + the most ... dangerous / poisonous ... snake ...

24 Jan 2011      

Mariethe House
France

This is more than I can think of, dear Moravc!LOL Aren �t you clever and so helpful! Thank you sooooo much!
I remember Zora had some very good describing worksheets. Just had a look and here they are!

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=114794#thetop

24 Jan 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

You could also include a bingo with animals, not the easy ones but some which are difficult to learn but that can appear in texts or news. In this bingo you have a list of animals, let �s say 20 for example and you have the typical bingo card which student have to fill in the white boxes with the names of the animals they want and you have cards with the definitions of the animals you have in the list. You only read the definitions and the students cross the animals they have in their own bingo card. (I have uploaded one like this with shops and you can do it with animals. They learn to define and of course learn the names of 20 new animals)
Hope it helps
Yolanda

24 Jan 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

Moravc - very goo idea.
I also use animals to combine color and animals. Also I use them in TPR with words like "show, bring, put, take".

Also with this topic sts learn to describe pictures (It is pig. It is pink. It is dirty).

I plan to use this topic in reading (they read things they know).

It can be used in teaching to comprehand English text ( like in "Color the bear brown". Then they can speak about the picture and ask and answer simple questions).

I taught some of my younger students the plurals using this formula noun - to be - adjective.

24 Jan 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Wow, Moravc

I don �t think I can help, you did the whole work. Thumbs Up

Well, monkeys swing

And you could also have some patterns - spots, stripes

scales, feathers, fur ............

environment  ?????

Sorry, as I said, you did the whole job alone.

Have a nice week, Moravc

Linda

24 Jan 2011     

silvia.patti
Italy

What about the place where they live?
What about famous animals? (the sheep Dolly, the octopus Paul,...)

24 Jan 2011     

Apodo
Australia

....I �m having a think about this......some ideas coming soon. 8-)
Have sent a PM

24 Jan 2011     

roneydirt
United States

I seen several worksheets and PowerPoints where animals are used on here, from describing, what are they doing, riddles, poems and such; but if you want to add more the more power to you.  We will be waiting...  well sort of waiting.

24 Jan 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Perhaps conditionals also - provide a list of animals and then have each student choose one but not say which. So they say/write sth like I would like to be that animal, because I could swim in the ocean, I would be strong, big, fast and dangerous, and my teeth would grow back, so I wouldn �t have to go to the dentist �s. (shark)...
Also perhaps some activity with eating - you know, what each animal eats and why... well, here perhaps it would help if we concentrated on making wh-questions, really.
Also, and this is more vocab than grammar, perhaps senses (to be used as riddles) This animal smells really foul, because it hangs around garbage a lot. It feels rough and sticky to the touch because it isn �t very clean. It sounds squeaky, and scratchy when it uses its little claws. It looks like a mouse, but uglier. etc.
Sorry, no big ideas - it �s rather late in the day... will be back if I think of more...

24 Jan 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Great ideas! Thanks a lot!

24 Jan 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Baby animals, maybe?

25 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >