Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Some help again?    

Some help again?

adelina81
Bulgaria

Some help again?

Could you please tell me what the following means - to gain scale. I can �t find it anywhere in the Internet. Perhaps native speakers could explain. I think it �s something like "to gain importance or influence", but can �t be sure. Thank you very much.

24 Jan 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

What is the context of the phrase?

24 Jan 2011     

roneydirt
United States

It depend on the rest of the sentence.  "to gain" itself is either to improve or to get more.

24 Jan 2011     

adelina81
Bulgaria

The sentence is:

But the reward is to get back into one of the world �s largest markets and gain the scale that will promote Fiat from a smallish European firm to the ranks of global carmakers.

24 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

It appears to me that they mean to gain a certain level (or status) on a scale. An example scale:

cars sold                           Title
50-1000                            peon
1001-10,000                     nobody
10,001-50,000                  wannabe
50,001-500,000                small producer
500,001-2,000,000           local carmaker
2,000,001 -5,000.000       regional carmaker
5,000,001-25,000,000      international carmaker
25,000,001 -and up          global carmaker

24 Jan 2011     

adelina81
Bulgaria

thank you very much

24 Jan 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Adelina

My opinion, as it is a rather similar expression to the Portuguese one.

Going back to Douglas - if you have a car factory and you produce more than what you can sell, you don �t have scale; either you downsize the production or increase the car sellings, so , you have to gain scale, you have to look for other markets. That �s a big, big problem in world economy, because as everyone can see, no one can go on and on and on  trying to gain scale - it �s not an infinite process, tha �s what may cause the collapse or, as it usually happens, administrators try to sell a variety of products, so that they get more independent.
Let �s say you have a travel agency, but you find it difficult to sell the trips. To gain scale, you can have synergies with hotels, flying companies. If you have a travel agency, a flying company, hotels / resorts in many different parts of the world, you have got a scale. This way, you sell the whole pack; it �s easier for people who buy, but not only you get a bigger scale, but also you don �t have all the eggs in the same basket; if part of the business goes wrong, you have other branches that may help. Even if a touristic destination is suddenly with problems ( weather disasters, war,etc ), you can always go on with your business, cause you just have to send people to other destinies.

Hope I could help

Linda

24 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

Not just where they stand on the scale is meant here, but their own scale of production as well.

Does synergy really have a plural?

24 Jan 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Douglas

Well, as a matter of fact, I don �t know much about either synergies or plurals  ( LOL )Embarrassed

But, your message stood me up and made me have some activity, what, in fact, is quite good for me - I prefer to stay all day long in front of my lap, rather than walking outside and breathe fresh air. So, your question was a good one. I couldn �t go out and have a look autside , so, I satyed inside and Had a look in net.
this is what I got, at a first glimpse, not sure how much it is worth, but I am open to some opinions, ok? have a deal ?

so, it goes like this   Copy/paste

syn�er�gy  (snr-j)
n. pl. syn�er�gies
1. The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.
2. Cooperative interaction among groups, especially among the acquired subsidiaries or merged parts of a corporation, that creates an enhanced combined effect.

( The Free Dictionary, by Farlex )

would like to hear some more opinions, if you have the time.

Thanks in advance

Linda

[From Greek sunergi, cooperation, from sunergos, working together; see synergism.]

25 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

Thanks Linda-I learned something new.

25 Jan 2011