Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Cover lessons _Quiet activities!!!!!!    

Cover lessons _Quiet activities!!!!!!

izulia
China

Cover lessons _Quiet activities!!!!!!

Hello everybody, Need your help pleeease!!!

I wasn �t at school today because I caught terrible cold. It looks like I will need at least one or two more days to stay in to gain my strength back. My leesons were covered by my assisstant today who is very good and would always try her best at whatver she is asked to do. The trouble is she called me and said the kids (they are 8-11 years old) were very naughty today, especially some of them and she had hard time controlling them.
Now I have to email three lesson plans for tomorrow: 2 English and 1 Science. In Science we were going to look at animals and their habitats. In English - reading comprehension and grammar focus on past simple tense. The good thing is I can choose any work within those themes but I am looking for some QUIET activities, so that my teaching assisstant is not too stressed with the discipline. My students � level of English is between elementary and pre-intermediate.
Please help me with some ideas, it �s hard to think when you are not well :(
Thank you
Zulia

24 Jan 2011      

Mariethe House
France

I think you could get them on a joint English and science project that would last a couple of hours on animals. Moravc �s post on the forum today was very complete on this subject . Sorry, I could not answer before.
Here is what Zora did with describing animals.
http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/buscar.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=animals&userid=36213&user=Zora#thetop

Get them to do something personal in which they will get involved. Good luck!

24 Jan 2011     

Lancillotta:
Italy

What about documentaries?
There are some funny and easy ones by disney .
or try here:
I hope this helps...
Sabrina

24 Jan 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

I love the �read my lips � game, though that can only last for so long - not too long. Basically, the quiter the activity, the quieter the students. Moravc also has a ws which has over 100 ways to deal with reading (all in one ws - amazing woman), and I �m sure your colleague will find sth interesting and usable there. Plus, giving a time limit on the activities might help. Sometimes, and I �m being a bit naughty ere (sorry) all it takes for students to become quiet is to ask them to talk - they clam up as soon as they have to speak for a longer time in English or prepare an oral report about sth. So she might ask each student to give a brief report about an animal and then ask the others to guess which animal is being described, or even this - ask students to describe a specific animal but to provide some untrue data, and have others try and guess which data is false. It also helps if you do a musical dictation, but the challenge is to play the music really softly and the volume is as low as possible.

24 Jan 2011