Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > tag questions    

tag questions

domnitza
Romania

Another one: COME , not came! (shame on me!)
kevinwolfenden, thanks for your answer.

9 Dec 2008     

domnitza
Romania

and
Vickiii, too.
I don�t know any Romanian words that could get along with the word you told us about. I have a toddler, too, and the way he speaks is an every-day-miracle, I usually don�t understand what he says. He is crazy about the vacuum cleaner, which in Romanian is <aspirator>, but he names it ABU. So <abu> is the word he says all the time. LOL I heard older toddlers speaking and I was totally confused, as if they had spoken a secret language.

9 Dec 2008     

CILB
Argentina

I have found this. I hope it helps.

QUESTION-TAG 1
Whenever we use an auxiliary or anomalous verb in an affirmative sentence, the Q.T.1 must be formed by repeating the verb in its negative interrogative form, as:
He is a doctor, ISN�T HE?
They were sleeping, WEREN�T THEY?
We must study, MUSTN�T WE?

But:
I am a student, AREN�T I?
She may come later, MAY SHE NOT?
There are two boys outside, AREN�T THERE?

site : www.geocities.com

9 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

I think if you had to absolutley must add a tag, then it would probably go the same way as "I am a teacher, Am I not? �Because may not and Am not are never contracted. �Having said that there is an alternative for Am I not?: Aren�t I? �So maybe there�s an alternative to "May he not"

So He may go, may he not? sounds strange but gramatically I think is OK, although as I and Vicki mentioned we wouldn�t actually use it.

9 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Another thing re may & might - I believe that etymologically speaking �might� is the past tense of �may�. Might is also a conditional irregular form of may. This means the tag may be perfectly acceptable as �He may come, mightn�t he?� (which isn�t that uncommon in Australian English). �Mayn�t� is actually perfectly acceptable (it is in Merriam Webster & the Oxford Dictionaries, for example), but archaic, so you�re unlikely to hear it on the street or read it in a magazine.

Cheers
B-)

9 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

You know, I was reading this topic and at first I thought that "He may come, mightn�t he?" sounded okay as an answer .. but then, I just said to myself that maybe I am wrong and just thought I heard it somewhere...since it seemed strange to put a "mightn�t" with a "may"...

Thank you alien boy for clearing that up for me...

Linda

9 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2