Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Ta!    

Ta!

Vickiii
New Zealand

Ta!

yesterday i met a child who is spoken to only in english by parents who have english as a second language.  I thought it was such a wonderful way to make their child truly bilingual.  The child has a fantastic vocabulary and can speak her native language as well. 

When she was wanting something I realised she was missing a basic word that for some reason we teach babies and then teach children not to use.  The word is "Ta".  In english we use the word "Ta" like this:

"Can I have that please"
"Please"
"Give that to me now"

It depends on what inflection you use in your voice.  It is used with babies up until the age of about 4-5.  I don�t know if this is used in other english speaking countries or not - would be interesting to know!

I found it fascinating that I instinctively used the word when I was asking her for something. She handed over the item and then within 5 minutes I heard her using the word like a native speaking child would.    not sure if this was a good thing to do or not - it honestly just slipped out automatically!  I haven�t used this word in a long time!

Do other languages have a �word� like this?

Language acquisition is such a fascinating thing!  I so wish I had the brain of a baby somedays - it would make learnign spanish so much easier!

9 Dec 2008      

blizzard1
Denmark

Hi Vickiii
What a fascinating and interesting experience.
I�ve always been interested in cases regarding feralchildren and how they are able to learn and develop a  new  language.
I cant� see any harm in your using "ta" with the child. I think you gave him an extra "word" and a new tool to communicate with.

9 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , Vickii

It is always fun and very interesting to read your contribution. Here is another one.
But I am a little mistaken. I am not a native speaker.
Do you mean that when you/child say "Ta" we should understand it is "Give that to me now."

I want to know.

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi goodnesses,

It can be used in a polite enquiringly way or in a demanding way.

As an adult i usually use it to get something off the child that they are not supposed to have.
I also use it when giving something to a child.  It is like saying - "What should you say"? and expecting the child to say please.

I just say "Taaa?" and the child responds "Ta" then you give them the object.  Shocking isn�t it??? 

I hear some parents say "Ta for mummy?" and put their hand out.  The child then hands over what they have in their hand.

A child might point and say "ta" when they want a drink.  It is used with babies only.  As the child starts developing their speech they progress very quickly - although old habits die hard in some children.  It is a very fast way to give a child the means to communicate politely.

When used in a demanding way it is generally the parent trying to get something expensive off their child.

Even older children will sometimes use Ta as a way to say thank you.  They use it very informally usually when they are happy with what you have given them.  My 9 year old students would self correct - "Ta Miss, <shake head>I mean Thank you Miss".

9 Dec 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

Language acquisition is a fascinating subject and many modern theories of second language acquisition are actually going back to the way that the first language is acquired, naturally and without effort.

Language too is not so prescriptive as grammarians and teachers would have us believe.  How many of us have taught students:  "How are you?  I�m fine thank you.  And you?" (with the rising intonation at the end to indicate a question.

I have been on this earth for 57 years and have never once had that conversation with anyone.  Usually we just say �Hi�  or �OK� �How ya�doin� or some other drivel and this works perfectly well.  So using Ta is perfectly normal and whilst it may not be grammatically acceptable or should not be included in a Cambridge Examination, when it comes to communication it is 100% right.  I often finish off letter to individuals with the words �ta muchly� which will totally confuse any second language learners - but here is the secret, the difference between a native speaker of the language and someone who is very proficient, is that the native speaker can speak the language inaccurately, can use slang, abbreviations and contractions and still be considerd to be a native speaker.  Always remember Bad English is Good English.

Ta muchly for your attention

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Good point logos,

I sent a pm to an aussie earlier saying "Ta for the ups".  He understood me perfectly.  Anyone else want to take a guess on what I meant?

9 Dec 2008     

fmrb
France

Ta! I�m not quite sure who�s a native speaker here and who�s not (the level is very high!) but let me just add that "Ta" is short for "Thank you" and often used by babies, children and adults alike. As for children, when you ask for something and you say �Ta�, (usually by offering your hand) you are in fact thanking them (in advance) for giving you whatever it is they have. "Ta Ta" on the other hand is a different ball game altogether.........Ahhh isn�t it a wonderful language!

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi fmrb,

You are correct - I had never considered that - I just thought about how I use �ta�  to give examples.  It is exaclty thank you in advance!  In fact we do the same thing with the word thank you with older children.

funny isn�t it - sometimes you don�t see the obvious!

"I can�t see the forest for the trees" would be an apt saying!

9 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Vickiii & all the other interested & interesting people in this discussion!!!

In case you�re wondering, I�m the Aussie Vickiii mentioned earlier.

I�d have to say, fmrb, that you are spot on! Ta mate!!!!

Aussies are known to have a different sense of humour to North Americans - Kiwis & Poms understand us ok though - so often you might hear something like �Ta, Mate! You shouldn�t have.� which really means something like �Thanks but that/it really wasn�t helpful/good at all!�

Here�s another one for you. On Mondays it is common for Aussies to say �How was your weekend�, not because we want to know detail about what you did on your weekend, but because it�s like saying �Hi� at the start of the week. This often causes hurt feelings when the Aussie who asked the question then goes off on their merry way totally ignoring the reply from the person they greeted.

Cheers,
B-)

9 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I don�t find it shocking Vickii, but amazing and curious since I did not know about.

I agree with logos, quite often there is a difference between well communicating and know well a language.

That�s what we, teachers, should take in consideration when in class. especially when dealing with non native SS.

Vickii, as the French say "I give my tongue to the cat" what is it?
Maybe "Thank you for your support"

9 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

I also thought of "ta" as meaning "thank you". �It�s pretty commonly used in Wales even by Adults.

9 Dec 2008     

1    2    3    4    5    Next >