Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Swedish Language    

The Swedish Language

Helen McK
Ireland

The Swedish Language

Could anyone tell me how the Swedish language compares to English?  How difficult is it for non Swedish people to learn?  How does it compare to English in terms of grammar, writing and pronunciation? 

27 Jan 2011      

libertybelle
United States

I don �t speak it real well - but I do speak Danish.
The Nordic languages are difficult -Swedish a bit easier than Danish because it has harder consonants.
There are many sentences where the verb comes before the noun.
(yesterday went I home from school)
Then there are all the expressions of speech which are different too.
Not a whole lot of English there - and a sing-songy sound to it too.
They also roll their Rs on many words.

Try going to Youtube and listen or Google translate - click on listen.
It might give you an idea of how it sounds.

27 Jan 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

My husband has been working with Swedish people for a couple of years now (more than a couple actually) and he tried to selfteach it sort of, he isn �t fluent but as I got it from him its not as difficult if that �s not the first foreign language you �re learning, you kind of see the common paradigms, especially if you, like my husband, took up History of Languages pretty seriously while studying at the university. Can �t say anything deep from first-hand experience though, but I do know that when you hear it over and over again it gets into your head (as I �ve said I wasn �t the one who was studying it, but still had to hear it over and over againSmile) I find Swedish really rythmical and pleasant to the ear with all its sress and intonation patterns. 
Sophia

27 Jan 2011