Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can the word "down" be translated into Portuguese as "topar"?    

Can the word "down" be translated into Portuguese as "topar"?

liliteacher
Brazil

Can the word "down" be translated into Portuguese as "topar"?

A student of mine said she was watching a TV program, in which the word "down"  was translated into Portuguese as "topar". According to her, it was in a lyrics. Is that possible? I �ve never heard about this meaning... Does anybody know this lyrics???

Help me, please.

Thank you!

L�via

27 Jan 2011      

alexcure
Poland

Dear Livia,

Here �s a wonderful forum where people answer such questions at once:
http://forum.wordreference.com/

Have a nice day

Alex

27 Jan 2011     

coyote.chus
Spain

Hi,
I don �t know what "topar" means, but I �m sure the word "down" goes with a verb, so it must be a phrasal verb here. Can you give the complete sentence so that we can see the context?

27 Jan 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Coyote, "topar" means "to accept". And I agree with you, there must be a verb before the particle to give its complete meaning.

Translations from the internet (as captions in movies) are not 100% correct, one of my favorite hobbies (and also one of the funniest) is reading the captions / translations finding their (numerous) mistakes. It �s simply hilarious! I have no idea how people understand the movies reading the captions.

27 Jan 2011     

coyote.chus
Spain

Then... could it be any of these meanings?

Back down (or climb down)
= to no longer stick to your original ideas or position: "After weeks of negotiating, she backed down and accepted their conditions."
Stand down = resign: "After ten years at the head of the company, the chairman has decided to stand down."

27 Jan 2011     

liliteacher
Brazil

Hi, guys.

Thanks for answering. I don �t know the sentence... She said she was going to take me the lyrics, but I �d like to know if anyone knows this song... The name is "down". I have no idea...

27 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Who is the song by? There �s "Down" by Blink 182  In it down means feeling depressed, blue.

27 Jan 2011     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Dear colleague:

The word "down"when translated into Portuguese means on its own "downwards".
However it may also refer to a state of mind ( blue, sad).

As everyone has said here we need the main verb as it �s a phrasal verb.

Who is the singer of the song your student mentioned?It would be very useful to know that so that we can help you.

Have a nice evening!

27 Jan 2011     

liliteacher
Brazil

Hi, guys.

The song my student has mentioned is "Down", by Say Sean. The lyrics says:

Baby, are you down, down, down, down, down?
Down, down
Even if the sky is falling down?
Down, down

I don �t think the meaning of the word "down" is "accept". What about you?

31 Jan 2011