Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Verbs that start with the letter X    

Verbs that start with the letter X

Errie
Japan

Verbs that start with the letter X

Hello !
Thnx to all who have helped me finding verbs that start with a Z. I �m afraid I need your help again. I need ten verbs that start with the letter X. This is gonna be a tough one!

I already have two:
1. X-ray
2. Xanth

Thnx in advance!

28 Jan 2011      

Sonn
Russian Federation

I haven �t found any other words but yours and xerox))

But on the Internet and in rap and R �n �B songs there is a tendention to shorten the words starting with ex- as X or X-:

e.g. x-cite (excite)
       xamine (examine)
       xperience (experience)
       xceed
       xcuse
       xclaim
       Xpand
etc.

XL (excel)

I hope it helps.

28 Jan 2011     

ohermann
Czech Republic

to xerox
to x out

really tough question Confused

28 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

xerography

I owe you this one...It the original verb for what is now known as �xerox �

28 Jan 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

x-irridiate: To expose or subject to x-ray radiation.

28 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

As a Scrabble buff, I �ve got a thing for x-words:

xylophone
xanax
xylem
xyloid
xeric
xebec
xylograph
xenolith
xenophobia
xenon
xanthic

Xhosa
Xanadu

Edit: I just found this site for word geeks like me. How have I managed to live without it?
Also, I know there are no verbs in the list, but I�m sure we�re all aware of �verbing�: "Yeah, last year we xebecked across the Red Sea, dude."

28 Jan 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

Poster asked for verbs, not nouns. I think the only verbs worth teaching (?) are

to xerox 
to x-ray 
(possibly) to x out

There simply aren �t 10 verbs starting with x in English.

28 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

@PhilipR

Poster asked for verbs, not nouns

If you �d taken the time to read all of my post, including the edit (which was added long before your comment), you might have noticed that I said there were no verbs in the list - which, incidentally, includes adjectives. 

The list was simply a light-hearted celebration of the euphony of words beginning with x and an excuse to punt �The Phrontistery �.

28 Jan 2011     

David Lisgo
Japan

They don �t exist. I think only two English verbs begin with x x-ray and xerox. You will have to go with an x within a verb such as:
mix fix annex asphyxiate coax exist (there are many ex... verbs) juxtaxpose box poleaxe relax and more.

28 Jan 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Errie,
�Xeriscape � (verb) = To cultivate an area as a xeriscape,  which is a garden requiring little or no irrigation. (Oxford Dictionary of English).

I also suggest that you can have:
�To xenotransplant � from �xenotransplantation � (transplanting organs between different species).
�To X-rate � a film, so that it receives an X-rating.
�To xenograft � from �a xenograft �, a graft from a donor of different species to the recipient.
�To xylograph � from �xylography �, the art of printing from wood engravings.  (See: �to telegraph � from �telegraphy �.)

I am sure that you have 10 verbs now!

I hope that I have helped.

LES

28 Jan 2011     

Errie
Japan

Thanks again for all the help! I couldn �t figure it out myself.
@Les...yes!. I �ve got my ten verbs now. I wouldn�t have �em without you...Thumbs Up

31 Jan 2011