Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Plural    

Plural

marcella8161
Italy

Plural

Hi! I �d like to know if PERSONS is the plural of PERSON or if PEOPLE it is still the correct plural. Maybe both are correct now, but I �d like to know it for sure because I �d like to teach in a correct way to my students. Thanks a lot and thanks for the marvellous worksheet and other things I see here!

28 Jan 2011      

Stephaniee
Australia

The plural of person is both persons and people. Peoples is used to denote a specific group of people by their common ethnicity, religion, geographic region, common interest, etc.

28 Jan 2011     

marcella8161
Italy

Thanks!!!

28 Jan 2011     

dermo
Spain

People vs Persons

person (singular) has two plurals: people and persons

people is much more usual and friendlier than persons

I went on the trip with five other people.

persons is usually used in official circumstances, exactly like your elevator example

This must not be shown to any unauthorized persons.

Person is a countable noun. It has two plural forms: persons and people.

--

Now, without wishing to "muddy the waters", the word people can also be singular, but then it has a different meaning:
- the men, women and children of a particular country or ethnic group

The Chinese are a great people.

But this people is also countable, and the plural is peoples:

This article is about the indigenous peoples of the Americas.

28 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s quite astonishing that, until relatively recently (1984 according to M-WDEU), some people would be horrified at even the slightest suggestion that people could possibly be used in place of persons when preceded by a modifier or specific number. 

Many people - aaarghhh! Seven people - double aaaarghhhh! 

All this, despite the fact that this usage has been around since Chaucer �s time.

By the way, I �ve always thought it a bit dodgy to say that people is a plural of person. They �re different words with different roots, although it �s more of an acceptable option than the more formal and slightly stuffy persons. I believe the term is �suppletive � (they �re linked semantically but not etymologically). Actually, looked at this way, I suppose it is a perfectly natural plural of person.

@dermo, whose �elevator example �?

28 Jan 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@ almaz ... dermo simply copied and pasted an explanation made by someone else on the net, but I guess you already knew that Wink

28 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oops, rumbled...Embarrassed

28 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Oops, rumbled...Embarrassed

28 Jan 2011