Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Deep End    

Deep End

guitarman61
United States

Deep End

I moved to Thailand and was sucked in by the "teach english" TEFL ads. "No experience necessary." Ya right. Although I am personally educated in English grammar, I have no education in education. Upon completing my TEFL course, Island TEFL on Koh Samui, I feel only slightly more prepared to teach than I was before the course. Now I am in the thick of it and feeling altogether overwhelmed. I advertised my services by handing out flyers here in Maesot, an isolated city of about 50,000 along the Myanmar border. My rates are 350baht per hour for 1 on 1, and 175baht per hour for group lessons. I am being flooded now with requests for private lessons for children ages 3 through 14 and a few adults, most wanting lessons 7 days a week. I have done sessions with two 3 year old children, two 5 year olds, an 8 year old, and a 50 year old - all with virtually 0 to 5 % English vocabulary. I am way over my head with trying to come up with lesson plans for each, and coming up with activities to keep the younger students engaged.
I realize that I will be looked down upon by those who have degrees in education and have "paid their dues", so to speak, by having taught for years already, but none the less, I am here now, trying to do my best, and would appreciate some help so that I do not end up crashing and burning as a teacher.
Thank you.

1 Feb 2011      

yanogator
United States

I �d say that you �re paying your dues big-time right now! I don �t think anyone here will look down on you, because you �re teaching without the luxury of preparation for it.

Contribute worksheets here, so that you can earn points for downloading. Ask for advice and learn all you can from the experts here. You �ll find this bunch to be remarkably friendly and helpful.

Bruce

1 Feb 2011     

lshorton99
China

Hi

I think all teachers, however qualified, go through periods of feeling overwhelmed - it �s perfectly normal!

Regarding adults, I recommend you invest in a good coursebook to give you a basis. English File has an excellent teacher �s book with good lesson plans that could help you with adults.

For children, the best idea is to do lots of short activities to keep them engaged. I don �t know what resources you have at your disposal but if you don �t really have anything here �s a couple of ideas.

Write or draw vocabulary on pieces of paper. Call out the word and get them to hit it with their hand.

Drill structures by using nonsense sounds for missing words (I do �My name is � and make a noise similar to a raspberry - children think this is hysterical!)

Use lots of songs and chants - make up your own to tunes you are familiar with (I use �Do you love me � for �Do you like + food � - I have a worksheet on it here - pm me and I �ll send you it!)

Get them to dance the alphabet song with their bodies (I love this too!) or if you don �t have space with their fingers.

If you have pairs of students, get them to trace numbers, letters or words on each other �s backs and guess the word.

Always keep the same routine every lesson - start and finish the same. I get my 2-4 year old students to go to the toilet, drink water, come into the classroom, take off their shoes, sit down, then we do �What �s your name �, �How are you � �classroom rules � sing a �hello song � (if you don �t have one I recommend adapting the Beatles �hello, goodbye), then we do a ltter of the alphabet, counting, a shape, new vocabulary, goodbye song, put on their shoes, end of lesson! It �s more or less the same every class and new language is only introduced gradually.

Build up a list of simple games you find your students like - let them choose which one to play in each lesson.

The more you do it, the easier it will be to come up with good idea!

Good luck.

Lindsey

1 Feb 2011     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

There are a lot of free songs and videos for young learners here

My kids love the songs a lot.  With kids (3-5 y.o.) I use Oxford course book Cookie and friends (Starter Level - 3-4 y.o., Level A 4-5 y.o.,  Level B 5-6 y.o. ) There are a lot of coloring, tracing, matching worksheets in those books and wonderful songs and stories for acting out on Cds. There is also a resource pack with different flashcards, story cards and a puppet.

Small kids like lessons with puppets. I use a lot of flashcard games and songs to teach them vocabulary. You can find tons of free flashcards on the Net as well as games to use with flashcards.  For free flashcards have a look at this link.

Good luck to you,

Larisa

1 Feb 2011     

miss_marina...
Chile

Hi,

While teaching kids, use a lot of songs and games because they like to move around. Make them move with a certain word if you are reading, use a lot of mimic if you work vocabulary (make them guess the word by themselves), for example.

Also you can check this out: http://www.cambridgeenglishonline.com/
 this is a very useful web page in which you can get ideas for your lessons. Also you can take a look at  my blog. http://chileefl.blogspot.com/ 

I hope you can find this useful.
Regards,

Marina

1 Feb 2011     

yetigumboots
Germany

Hi Guitarman... I use www.supersimplesongs.com for small kids. Watch the videos on the site to see what I mean. You can also download flashcards and props to use with the songs. (for example the song Do you like broccoli? the kids have paddles and have to shout �yes I do � or �no I don �t �) This was a big hit with my kids. I teach English to Kindergarten kids here in Germany (also only with TEFL) and I know how hard it is to be thrown in at the deep end. If you need ideas for little ones then send me a PM and I will try to help.
Just never let them know you are nervous!!!! Approve

Good Luck

Yeti xx

1 Feb 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Qulifications versus experience!
Quite a conundrum!
Personally I have both but..
I think the best teacher has that x factor. They were just born that way.
Keep trying! Good luck!
Joy

1 Feb 2011     

douglas
United States

http://esl.about.com/od/teachingbeginners/a/ab_beg_intro.htm

This helped me when I was in a similar situation--I had LOTS of teaching experience, but had never taught ESL.

Douglas

1 Feb 2011     

izulia
China

Our Year 1 teacher recently started his website where he has a very good collection of weblinks for the children of different ages. Read his blog as well, you can get some ideas on what you can teach the little ones.

Good luck,
Zulia from China

1 Feb 2011