Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Children īs song    

Children īs song

sweetlove
Brazil

Children īs song

There īs a children īs song called "Skip to my lou". Does anyone know what it means, especially this word īlou �?
Thanks in advance!!!

8 Feb 2011      

Zora
Canada

Well, according to wikipedia "lou" is an Americanised version of "loo" or "love" in Scottish. Don īt know how accurate that is. Maybe Alex can shed some light on that.

8 Feb 2011     

NanG
Argentina

I agree with Zora : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_to_My_Lou

8 Feb 2011     

Natyfuchi
Argentina

I don īt agree. 

Skip to My (The) Lou was a popular partner-stealing dance from America īs frontier period.

廍kip to My Lou� is a simple game of stealing partners. It begins with any number of couples hand in hand, skipping around in a ring. A lone boy in the center of the moving circle of couple sings, 尞ost my partner what𠑥l I do?� as the girls whirl past him. The young man in the center hesitates while he decides which girl to choose, singing, 𨧻 īll get another one prettier than you.� When he grasps the hand of his chosen one, her partner then takes his place in the center of the ring and the game continues. It īs an ice-breaker, a good dance to get a group acquainted to one another and to get everyone in the mood for swinging around.

8 Feb 2011     

Zora
Canada

IF people are going to copy wiki links, please know what you are copying. The question was about the meaning of "lou" - if you read on, you will find that in this very same explanation it talks about "lou" being turned from "loo" meaning "love" in Scottish.

8 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well, Zora, I can only confirm that loo is a variant of the Scottish luve, lufe, lo, love &c although I know it through its pronunciation in Burns � poems like īWantonness for ever � (I hae lo īed the black, the broun; I hae lo īed the gowden - a � the colours o � the toun...). 

I can īt say whether or not īSkip to my Lou � has a Scottish origin but it may be no coincidence that many of the first frontier settlers were Scots or of Scottish descent (including the Scotch-Irish).

8 Feb 2011     

douglas
United States

Skipping is a kind of hopping step.  In the song people are dancing from one partner to the next--they are skipping to their desired partner.  I always thought Lou was a name, but seeing hte above inputs the song makes better since.

So it means "dance to my love"

8 Feb 2011