Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Words with o> = phoneme /I/    

Words with o> = phoneme /I/

Akanah
Spain

Words with o> = phoneme /I/

Hi, I hope you can help me. I �m trying to find words spelled with <o> and pronounced /I/, like "women". Any ideas?

Thanks,
Olga

11 Feb 2011      

kodora
Greece

I don �t know if there is another one but here is  its Origin:
before 900; Middle English womman, wimman, Old English wīfman,  equivalent to wīf  female + man  human being; see wife, man1
The Old English wifman meant "female human" (man or mann had a default meaning of "male human," but could also be used generically to refer to a person of unspecified gender, corresponding to Modern English "one" or "someone").[1] The medial labial consonants coalesced to create the modern form "woman"; the initial element, which meant "female," underwent semantic narrowing to the sense of a married woman ("wife").
Dora

11 Feb 2011     

Akanah
Spain

Thanks, Dora. That �s what I �ve written as an explanation of its pronunciation. I just wanted to find any other example, but I can �t :S

Thanks,
Olga

11 Feb 2011