Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Games or projects in a class of 31 students!!!    

Games or projects in a class of 31 students!!!

martabanyoles
Spain

Games or projects in a class of 31 students!!!

I need some ideas to put into practise in my class. There are 31 students and I would like to do something different... any ideas of projects or games?

12 Feb 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

You can find lots of games here at ESL - just use the search engine (I have lots of them if you check my printables - many games in one doc). Yesterday there was a post about board games - some really good board games available here. Giving you some proper advice right here would be easier to do if you told us what age group and knowledge level your students are.

12 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Here �s an idea, I hope it �s useful for you.

Choose a topic. Divide the topic into 3 subtopics (For example: Taking care of our planet:
a)recycling - b)contamination - c)reforestation

Then divide the group into 3 teams. Give each team a handout with info on the topic you �ve chosen.

Team #1 (a) must write a song about the topic, and sing it.
Team #2 (b) must develop a role play about the topic and present it
Team #3 (c) must present a puppet show

This way you will have them all working on the same topic, but differently. You can choose the topic to suit your needs, and the kids have fun!

My kids enjoyed it, hope it �s useful for you!

Hugs,

Mar

12 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Here �s another idea...

You can play "Grammar Auction"....

Write many,many, many sentences on strips of cardboard (not too small). Write some sentences correctly and some with mistakes. Obviously, you will have all kinds of tenses in these sentences (the ones you need to practice)

Then, you will divide the group into teams of 4 or 5 ss. (tell them beforehand they must bring candy, or paper money, whatever you choose)

once you have them seated in their teams, you will show a sentence, and have them "bid" and buy it for their team. Highest bid wins it.

Each team must buy at least  3 - 5 sentences (you choose according to your time) when all the sentences have been sold, give ss a few minutes to work with their partners and decide whether each sentence they bought is correct or incorrect.

You then ask a member of each team to pass to the front, show one of their sentence, and say if it is correct or not. If they say their sentence is correct, and it IS correct, then you give them back their "money" they paid for. If they say their sentence is incorrect, they must write the correct sentence on the board. If they do this correctly, then you pay them double.

if they make a mistake, for example, say it �s correct when it �s incorrect, they must pay YOU double of what they paid.

Do this until all sentences have been presented.

So, keep in mind you have to have lots of candy (the little wrapped individual ones are not expensive) so you can PAY ss for correct answers.

After they the game is over, they can eat their sweets!!!

12 Feb 2011     

brahmam
India

Dear Mar....
Yours is an excellent idea. I will try this in my class.
Thank you so much.

13 Feb 2011     

coasvaf
Portugal

Dear Mar such great ideas. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hugs from rainy north Portugal.

13 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hello, everyone! I �m very glad my ideas were useful for you!

Hugs!

Mar

13 Feb 2011