Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Lessons on Tuesdays and Wednesdays with kids Does it work?    

Lessons on Tuesdays and Wednesdays with kids Does it work?

carinita
Argentina

Lessons on Tuesdays and Wednesdays with kids Does it work?

I have been offered to teach English to kids (from the age of 5 to the age of 12) The problem is ...I have a tight timetable and the institute that would hire me is not in my city I have to commute.
So the only days I can travel are Tuesday and Wednesday. The kids are divided according to age into 3 different groups (the groups are not crowded -says my future boss, there are 6 students approximately in each group)
My (possible) future employer thinks that delivering lessons one day after another to kids is not advisable and I agree. However, in her town there are not many teachers and she �s willing to make an exception. I graduated last year and I wouldn �t like to have a discouraging experience right now.
The references of the owner of the institute are good. What stops me from accepting the offer...is that I �m afraid of becoming overloaded and consequently irascible for not having enough rest.
My job there starts at 3.15 and finishes at 7.30 I have a break between lessons of 30 minutes. What do you think? What will you do in my place?

P.S I graduated last year but I �m middle aged I �m afraid if I don �t work with children  right now I �ll never do it in the future.

13 Feb 2011      

Mar0919
Mexico

Hello, Carinita. Personally, I have no objection to teaching one day after the other. I don �t see the problem.  

Advantage = your ss will more likely remember what you taught the day before, rather than having days in between lessons.

You also mention that you have a break between lessons, so that should ease up the fatigue. Moreover, you will have your ss divided by age group, so that will make it easier to work.

Nevertheless, I can sense you are a little wary of working with children. It seems like you have never worked with kids, am I correct?

Don �t worry, with a group as small as the ones you �d have, you should have no problem. ENJOY the children, they are wonderful, sometimes even more gratifying to work with than teens, now THOSE can be difficult! LOL!!! With kids it �s easier to play games with, songs, etc.

But, the decision is yours. If you do not feel convinced or confident, you should think about it, as mood will reflect on your teaching!

Hugs,

Mar

13 Feb 2011     

carinita
Argentina

Exactly...very precise answer. In the interview with the owner, we talked about the fact that children are not so easy to motivate sometimes or more specifically it is not easy to keep their motivation up. So we talked about the bad side of teaching kids Confused

13 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Yes, with kids you have to be very creative and dinamic! Well, at the moment, I am teaching in 3 different schools: one with kids, a primary school, another with teens, at a secondary school, and adults at a university. And guess what???? I enjoy the kids more! The adults really wear me out, because it �s a group of teachers, and we all know that teachers are the WORST students, so, I prefer kids anytime!

Just think about your decision with a cold head, and make the best choice for YOU. The one YOU feel more comfortable with, and good luck!!!

Hugs,

Mar

13 Feb 2011     

carinita
Argentina

he he LOL thank you

13 Feb 2011     

viccxx
Greece

I totally agree! Kids are so much easier!

The timetable sounds really good, if you have 30 minnutes between classes then it sounds almost too good to be true. I usually have classes back to back, or with 5 minutes in between...
As far as having lessons on two continuous days, one thing that works with me is to to keep a homework notebook. For example, I have some private students that have lessons on Friday and Saturday. On Friday I assign only two or three exercises for the next day, but on Saturday quite a bit more. But since the work is for next Friday they have plenty of time in the week to work on it. Just make sure they note the exercises carefully (they will get better at this after a while) and make sure their parents know that the work is supposed to be done all through the week and not on the day before the lesson.

13 Feb 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

I think it could really work in your favour.

On the Wednesday you could have teacher led learning activities where you and the kids are fully active together on whatever topic  you are teaching. Then the following day it is more of an independent work session where they will complete work in pairs or individually so that you can have 1:1 or 1:2 time with the kids spread throughout the lesson. This way they get a little bit of individual teaching time.
So when you are planning you need to plan both days together so that they link to each other.
The second day should have 2-3 activities , one of them an "early finishers" activity so that if you are working with a child or a pair then the other children know what to carry on with.

Once the routine is established it works really well in a classroom situation.

13 Feb 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I can �t see any problems of teaching one day after the other. I have done it several times. I agree with the other members when they say that kids are much easier to teach than teens. Children are eager to learn and everything is fun. Play lot of games, let them draw, sing and dance. They will love it. I would give them homework only once a week, never from one day to the other.
On this site you will find lots of great material.
Good look. let us know about your decision ( and experience)

13 Feb 2011