Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Past Simple and Continuous Tense     

Past Simple and Continuous Tense

sevgicik_
Turkey

Past Simple and Continuous Tense

Hi everyone!

I wonder whether you can share what kind of activities, games etc. you apply while teaching Past Simple and Continuous Tenses apart from grammar exercises and drills. We solved plenty grammar exercises. I am looking for some meaningful and fun activites before passing new topic. My students are pre-intermediate level . I appreciate your any kind of contributions. Thanks. Hugss:)

13 Feb 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

I have some cards from the Cutting Edge teachers � book with matching sentences - the first part of the sentence is in cont. and the end in simple, and they match according to content. But you can also have them list things they enjoy doing for a longer time (reading my favourite book, chatting on the internet, dancing with my friends, etc). Then you can also ask your sts to list things that can happen to interfere with sth you do, stuff they hate and find annoying - such as mum interrupts, unannounced visitors come, the internet connections are lost, etc. Then you can prepare or have sts prepare sentences with Past Continuous with the first group of sentences (I was dancing with Peter all night long...), Past simple with the other group (electricity went out), and you can add conjuctions in the middle. You can have these on cards or on the board in two columns with conjuctions in between, and have sts match parts of sentences as they see fit. If you get them to work in pairs, they love it. You can have them make real sentences, proper ones, and later on have them make funny ones (e.g. While I was making cappuccinos, my friend slipped on a banana peel. etc.) You can even trun it into a competition - limit their time, give 2 points for sentences which are completely correct and one for sentences with mistakes. They �ll make miracles to have correct sentences, especially if there �s a reward at the end.

13 Feb 2011     

sevgicik_
Turkey

it is a really nice and idea. is it possibble for you to send the cards you mention to me? I will write my e-mail as a PM. thanks so much.

13 Feb 2011