Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to teach vocabulary?    

How to teach vocabulary?

*Maria*
Russian Federation

How to teach vocabulary?

Hi!

I understand, it �s a silly question, but still... How do you teach vocab to adults? How do you make sure they memorize and use it? My students are Upper Intermediates. They know quite a lot and are sometimes reluctant to use some new words. I realize, it �s easier for them. Still we �ve got to move on and learn something new! 

13 Feb 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

Games! Have those words on word cards and have the sts divided into two groups. Then have a group pull out a word card and use it in a sentence (you can even set the task - like make a relative clause, or passive or use usually, etc.). If the sentence is correct, they earn a point. Then the other team plays. Keep score on the board and prepare a reward for the winners (even chocolate will do - we �re never too adult for chocolate).
You can also use the acrds for a flashing dictation - �flash � the word card for them to write down, and do this with a list of difficult vocabulary. Then add a task - they have to make e. g. wh-questions using two words per question! This can be a writing task and graded!
You can also put a word card on the board and have them make vocabulary maps around it - e.g. if the word is architectural, they can add architect, buildings, desing, plans, draw, organise, historical, etc. Just having the word architectural written in colourful letters and kept for so long visible on the board will make them memorise it better. We are all slaves to the visible.

13 Feb 2011     

maryse pey�
France

you can use funny combinations of same sounds or linking ideas. Make them start with some of yours and then ask them to find their own.

For example : three free bees in a tree agree to flee to feed the eel. Make them "draw" or "shoot" the scene. Laughing mnemotecnic often helps. The funnier or the most ridiculous the best, especially if it il linking with their own memories and habits !

13 Feb 2011     

hana555
Oman

very nice idea

thank you

13 Feb 2011     

kmochniak
Poland

What I do is I divide Ss into small groups and I give them a topic, which is suitable for using as much new vocab as possible. Then I give them small cards with the new words on them. The cards are "vouchers" each time a student uses certain word in the right way, they can take a card from the pile in front of them. It �s for other students to decide whether the word was used OK or not. The person with the most cards wins. Obviously, if they are not sure, you help them decide on the correctness.

13 Feb 2011     

*Maria*
Russian Federation

Thank you all very much!

14 Feb 2011     

CherryLove
Turkey

you can have them play taboo with those words

27 Feb 2011