Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is the following sentence right ?    

Is the following sentence right ?

epit
Turkey

Is the following sentence right ?

The teacher made us an exam.I know it is very simple but I �m not sure about its main verb.Pupil says "I had an exam or I sat an exam "t is ok but what does a teacher say ? .

Thank you from now on

13 Feb 2011      

anitarobi
Croatia

The teacher gave us an exam or prepared an exam for us...

13 Feb 2011     

hananeh
Iran

teachers give an exam

13 Feb 2011     

MissDal
Argentina

Teachers take them an exam

13 Feb 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

A teacher would say these..........

I gave an exam, a test last week.    (Past tense)
I give an exam,a test today.     (Present tense)
I prepared an exam,a test last week,today (Past and present)

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

13 Feb 2011     

epit
Turkey

Tense is not problem.So,I can say "I took my pupils an exam last week " or "I gave my pupils an exam last week "Thanks friends.

13 Feb 2011     

Aline37
Turkey

The first sentence is not correct. It would have to be �the pupils took an exam last week �. The second sentence is correct.

Have a nice evening.

Aline

13 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Epit,

Here, in the UK, the Student, talking in the Past Simple Tense, (for example), would say one of the following sentences:

�Last week, I took my Exam�                                          (I went into the Exam Room and answered the Questions.)

�Last week, I sat my Exam�.                                           (I went into the Exam Room and answered the Questions.)

�Last week, I did my Exam�.                                           (I went into the Exam Room and answered the Questions.)

�Last week, I had my Exam�.                                          (My Exam was last week and now it is finished.)

�Last week, I passed my Exam�.                                   (My Exam was last week and I was successful.)

�Last week, I failed my Exam�.                                      (My Exam was last week and I was not successful.)

Here, in the UK, the Teacher, talking in the Past Simple Tense, (for example), would say one of the following sentences:

�Last week, I gave my Students an Exam�.                                  (They went into the Exam Room and answered the Questions.)

�Last week, I SET my Students an Exam�.                                     (They went into the Exam Room and answered the Questions.)

�Last week, my Students sat their Exam�.                                    (They went into the Exam Room and answered the Questions.)

�Last week, my Students took their Exam�.                                 (They went into the Exam Room and answered the Questions.)

�Last week, my Students had their Exam�.                                  (The Exam was last week and now it is finished.)

�Last week, I prepared an Exam for my Students�.                  (I wrote the Exam Questions, ready for the Exam next week.)

�Last week, I marked the Exam Papers�.                                       (I gave every Student an Exam mark, for example, 60%. )

�Last week, 20 Students passed the Exam�.                                (In the Exam, 20 Students were successful.)

�Last week, 2 Students failed the Exam�.                                     (In the Exam, 2 Students were not successful.)

In the UK, the Teacher does NOT normally say:  �I will make my Students an Exam!�

In the UK, the Teacher does NOT normally say:  �I will take my Students an Exam!�

I hope that this helps.

Les

13 Feb 2011     

Neru006
Argentina

Sorry but  the correct expression is " My students sat for an exam last week".  

13 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Neru006,

You write: �Sorry but the correct expression is "My students sat for an exam last week".�

Perhaps in South America, (or in the USA), you would speak as you do.

However, I was careful to write, (but you must not have read), that I was from the UK.

In the UK,

�My students sat an exam last week�

is perfectly correct.

�Oxford Dictionary of English�, 2006, page 1654.

Sit: [with an object] British: take (an examination) pupils are required to sit nine subjects at GCSE.| [with no object] he was about to sit for his Cambridge entrance exam.    

Les Douglas

14 Feb 2011