Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dwarves or Dwarfs?    

Dwarves or Dwarfs?

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Dwarves or Dwarfs?

Hi,

can you tell me what the plural is of Dwarf?

Is it Dwarves or Dwarfs??????

In the dictionary , I saw both.

Which one is used more??

Best Regards,
:)

13 Feb 2011      

protraduceri
Romania

Both are accepted > dwarf - dwarfs/dwarves

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plural

You �re welcome!

13 Feb 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

both are correct.
dwarves - sounds more "bookish", proper and British
dwarfs - sounds more slangish and American
:-D
Any native speakers around to help Pretty3?

13 Feb 2011     

dturner
Canada

I think because of the influence of Snow White, we tend to use dwarfs in the West.  However, every time I write that word I have to stop and think.  And sometimes, cringe.
dt

13 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Pretty3,

Below is a link to a previous discussion on ESLp of the plural of words ending in �f�, either �fs� or �ves�

I hope that it helps.

Les

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=25787

13 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, both are acceptable (check any halfway decent dictionary, but dwarfs definitely gets more Google hits)). Remember, too, that �dwarf � is also a verb (to make something seem smaller by comparison). Apparently, the verbal inflections mirror the nominal inflections nowadays, so you might bump into both dwarfs and dwarves * as 3rd person singular of the verb to dwarf even though you �d expect only the first form.

*For example, a recent report in the Telegraph notes:
 By comparison, B�rdarbunga dwarves the Eyjafjallaj�kull volcano, which shut down most of Europe �s airspace last year after its ash cloud drifted across the continent �s skies.

PS  I �ve heard of some people blaming JRR Tolkien for introducing dwarves as a plural. If it �s of any interest, Terry Pratchett �s Discworld has attempted to restore the balance with dwarfs!

13 Feb 2011