Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Hump a Bluey & Waltzing matilda    

Hump a Bluey & Waltzing matilda

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hump a Bluey & Waltzing matilda

Well alien boy - I think I have figured out the first one - but I still have no idea what the term waltzing matilda refers to!  anyone else figure it out??

Hump = carry
Bluey = backpack (Swag)

Sometimes you will hear the phrase "I�ll hump it out" which means I will carry it out - usually suggests the person is tramping/hiking.

The other one....I have been singing it for years - well a slightly different version what!  no idea.

10 Dec 2008      

Spanglish girl
Argentina

V ickii, I don�t know the origin of the term, but an Australian professor told it means "come and walk"

10 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

thanks spanglish!

Hey I think i can speak Spanglish now!  I use to speak english, then Senglish, about 6 months ago I progressed to Spenglish.  But now I think I have moved on to Spanglish!  It is truly exciting.  Oneday I might even understand what people are saying to me!

10 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

Start of thread hijack ****** (Sorry Vickii)

hey Spanglish girl how are things going? I have thought about you over these days after your very moving thread not that long ago. The world needs caring people like you, and even though it might not feel like it now, YOU DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Just sending you a hug from the snowy icy northern sweden region :-)

***** end of thread hijack :-)

Hey vickii did you see the article on your side of the world about rolf harris apoloising for his "racist" lyrics in tie me kangaroo down sport?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1090220/Rolf-Harris-says-sorry-racist-song-lyrics--goes-slam-lazy-Aborigines.html
I have to admit I never thought about the lyrics before now...
And my swedish santa doesn�t need sunblock as its freaking freezing here! hahahaha although its 2pm and its dusk already, in half an hour it will be dark!

10 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Isn�t it a reference to the song?

10 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Everyone!!!

some good thoughts there....

Ok, yes, �humping a bluey� is carrying your swag/bedroll/pack, or going way back in Australian history - all your worldly belongings. When you �hump� something you are moving or carrying something heavy or unwieldy.
�Bluey� I�ll get onto a little further down.

Now �Waltzing Matilda�, in the Australian sense, doesn�t mean to just �come and walk�... it means to take your swag and travel the wilds of the Australian outback in search of work and sustenance.

Prior to the First World War, German people were the third largest immigrant group (behind the English & the Irish) to come to Australia. �Waltzing Matilda� is thought to originate with the German immigrants to Australia. A �bluey� may also originate with them as the colour known as �Prussian blue� is also from this time! �Prussian blue� was the colour of many of the tough, durable, military overcoats worn by Prussians and the soldiers of the united Germany during the late 19th century. These overcoats would have been very handy to have as part of your bedroll to help stay warm in the Australian bush at night. 

There were (& still are) huge distances between popular centres in a large part of Australia. During the early days of Australia sometimes men would have to leave their homes to find work for themselves & their families & so they would �hump their blueys� and go �walzing Matilda� to be able to live & support their loved ones!

Hope this helps clarify the Aussie English!

Any more questions?

Big smile      B-)

11 Dec 2008