Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > We walked a couple of streets???    

We walked a couple of streets???

nuritan
Turkey

We walked a couple of streets???

Hey dear collegues ! i need your help ..i came across with this sentence(at the top)  in a book..it makes me no sense:( what does it mean?..thanks in advance!
XXX

15 Feb 2011      

lamyaa
Egypt

"a couple of" like "a few"or a little more than two , it means we walked down "a few" streets.

15 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Nuritan,

"We walked a couple of streets".

"A couple of" is "two".  For example, "A couple of apples" = "2 apples".

In my opinion, this sentence is the same as:

"We walked the length of a couple of streets". (two streets)

"For exercise, we walked up and down two streets".

"We walked a short distance".

However, in informal use, "a couple of" means "An Indefinite Small Number", (Oxford Dictionary of English). 

Therefore, as my third sentence shows, please note that, "a couple of" sometimes means "a few", "not very many", as:

"He �ll probably be in bed sick, a couple of days".  ("He �ll possibly be in bed sick 1 day, or 2  days, or maybe 3 days, but for only a few days".)

I hope that I have helped.

Les 

15 Feb 2011     

nuritan
Turkey

hımm ok i see..that �s  we walked down two streets..i havent known that "couple" can be used in that way..thank you very much for your replies ..hugs from Turkey!

16 Feb 2011