Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD for Feb. 16, 2011    

WOD for Feb. 16, 2011

edrodmedina
United States

WOD for Feb. 16, 2011

Again the chosen one did not post (must be on the loo or sumthin) I will post. Today �s word is PANGLOSSIAN. Remember the rules: gives us your best made up daffynition(definition). Don �t post the real meaning and don �t ever, ever drink and drive. Play often and play hard. Good luck. Ed

16 Feb 2011      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Pang= pain
loss= loss
Ian= a prison officer from the Isle of Wight

Panglossian the anguish of Ian �s wife/widow when he fails to return from patrolling the �lifers � wing, commonly referred to as "cannibal row"

16 Feb 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Ha ha Frank

Now I �m going to steal your thunder by elaborating on your fantabulous definition ...

A panglossian is the term given to a person/s who, having won a competition fairly and squarely, neglects their duty to carry on the tradition thus causing pang and loss to any ardent followers named Ian 

16 Feb 2011     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hmm... I would say that a "PANGLOSSIAN" is a women with a sharp tongue, which makes her formidable and men avoid talking to her ... Panga = machete, panglossian - a woman with a sharp tongue like a panga LOL

16 Feb 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

pan- everywhere
gloss - something like lipstick
ian - person doing something

a panglossian is a person who smears lipstick or lipgloss all over the place
Or is it a man who kisses women with lipstick in such disorderly fashion that she gets it all over her face? .... Hm ... I �m not quite sure. Suit yourselves.

16 Feb 2011     

imanito
Morocco

pan = spanish for bread
gloss = lip-gloss
ian = suffix meanig related to

panglossian is a bread flavoured lip-gloss .

16 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Panglossian,

When I first saw this word, Panglossian, I immediately thought of the ancient Greek protector of all Nature, �Great Pan�, (and the modern American protector of all Food, �Teflon Pan�).

Pan lived in the beautiful paradise of �Arcadia� and you will remember the lovely song, �The Pipes of Pan�, from the musical, �The Arcadians�.

My friend used to sing a parody of the words:

�Come follow, follow, follow,

�That very, very, very fat man:

�His name is Brown;

�He�s going down,

�To smoke the Pipes of Pan!�

At school, my friend was bottom of the class in Mathematics!

He is now an International Banker!

This year, because of the serious world financial situation, there are drastic changes to his annual salary, (which is normally seven million pounds per annum).  Henceforth, he must provide his own pencils, free of charge!

Many of you are keenly interested in demography.  The prefix �demo-� means �people� and the suffix ��graphy� means �writing�.  (No, the opposite of �Topography� is not �Bottomography�!)

You will know that the �Ossians� was the original name for the �Aussians�, (now, �The Aussies�), the people who settled in Australia.  Many of these are world-famous: probably, the best-known of them is �The Wizard of Oz�.

However, in the word �Panglossian�, what do the letters G.L. represent?

It is a similar construction to �The Left East�; �The Right East�; and �The Middle East�.

In the United Kingdom we have �Great Britain�.  Because London is the capital city, it took the title, �Greater London�, although the rest of the population don�t agree with this description!

Historically, you will know that many cities suffered damage from fires, for example �The Fire of Newcastle�.  London always wants to be better, so it had �The Great Fire of London�!

To continue: we have �Greater London Aussie�, because �G.L.� means �Greater London�.

But what does the word �pan� represent?

Virtually all words are a mixture of different national characteristics.  Even the Chinese word �Chow!� (�Food�), has entered the Italian language as �Ciao!� (�Hello, I have just eaten some food�, or �Goodbye, I�m just going to eat some food!�)

The first syllable, �pan� is the word used in the United States to describe �a person�s face�, (�Pan American� = �an American face�; �Panda� = �a Father�s face�, �Panama�, = �a Mother�s face�; etc.

Panglossian = the look of surprise on the face of an Australian, on first seeing London!

Les

16 Feb 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

LES; HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING ???
You �re having me worried ...

16 Feb 2011     

kmochniak
Poland

I think Panglossian is simply a short for "pre-Anglo-Saxon" . -an is the ending to make it an adjective. Like Panglossian period:)

I think that no definition is good after Les �s mastery:) <bow>

Kasia

16 Feb 2011     

uatike
Turkey

Pan....  is short form of frying pan
gloss... lip gloss
ian...condition the person in.

Sometimes you wash the frying pan but you are not successful. Some little dirts are very stubborn, they stick on the pan and never leave  Angry

Panglossian is a word among women. They made-up this word from their experience in the kitchen.
When a woman tells another woman "panglossian" it means  a small piece of cookie or sandwich (that she has  just eaten) is on her lip,  stick on her lipgloss  (like the dirt on frying pans),  and  seems terrible, ...

pangloss  is a friendly WARNING among women .Wink

16 Feb 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Haha Ed - hilarious, and also soo true!

17 Feb 2011