Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I´m looking for an interesting way to teach gerunds and infinitive    

I´m looking for an interesting way to teach gerunds and infinitive

anatavner
Israel

I´m looking for an interesting way to teach gerunds and infinitive

I hate teaching this topic because I find myself teaching expressions and verbs that take either a gerund or an infinitive. BORING!!!! I �m trying to be creative but I don�t know how, especially with this topic!!!! It is an important one. Do any of you have an idea how to make it INTERESTING or at least passable???????
Cry

10 Dec 2008      

Emy Lee
Canada

Hi there,

Well, it seems I have more or less the same problem... Teaching gerund vs infinitive may be a little boring sometimes. Though there is an interesting activity you can do afterward.

Divide the class in two teams or more, depending of how many students you have. With their books closed, state any verb and ask students to remember if it is always followed by gerund, infinitive or both. The student who answers right grants a point to his or her team. You can give them a list of 10 or 20 different verbs.

If you are willing, you can even give a price to the winning team or extra points to their exam.

It works great for me. Hope it helps!! Smile

10 Dec 2008     

freddie
Canada

You can use the game "concentration" for this. Before class prepare a grid not too big max 6x5. On this grid you write 15 verbs you want them to know. Then on the other squares write "gerund or infinitive" according to what the verbs you wrote need. Number the squares 1-30. In class draw this grid on the board with the numbers 1-30. The teams must choose 2 cards, try to pair the verb with gerund or infinitive correctly. As they choose a number you check your grid and write it onto the square on the board. If they pair a verb with gerund or inf correctly, they must make a sentence to get a point. Then the other team. If they do not pair correctly you erase the words and the students must try to remember what was there. You can also do it with actual gerunds and infinitives for more practice so they must choose the gerund or inf with the correct meaning as well.  If this doesn�t make sense to you write me a pm and I�ll try and be clearer. :) 

10 Dec 2008     

aries_christ
Indonesia

anyone looking for how to teach gerund through ppt? use mine !

10 Dec 2008     

Pietro
United States

And I�ve got another questions (I�m asking it here just not to create a new topic):

do you teach the difference between a gerund, a participle two and a verbal noun (and an adjective - in some contexts)?

10 Dec 2008     

anatavner
Israel

Thanks for all your answers.
And about Pietro�s question - I don�t.

10 Dec 2008