Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Games on the forum    

Games on the forum

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

I don �t see a problem in that. I always see what posts are on the forum and I usually click "recent forum posts" to see what I could have missed. I agree about adequate names for the threads...I never had a problem to find a thread with a clear heading..sooo, I guess this question will stay open...Unfortunately the forum is designed in such a way we see all the threads, so nothing can be really done to divide it...if it was poss to create a second forum special for games and fun where threads would be saved and msgs would not disappar like it happens in the cafe   - it would be a solution...

18 Feb 2011     

viccxx
Greece

Well, I agree that games take too much space, but they �re so darn enjoyable, I would really hate to see them go. My only complaint is that the caption game some times distorts the forum when it is not properly resized. Other than that, I love it!

18 Feb 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i am not saying not to play just to play them elsewhere and to liberty i dont aree with you, sometime there are more than one post about the games. somtimes the games dont get people to play and there is a post in the morning , one at night, one to declare a winner one to apologize for been late i n declaring the winner or not posting the next and so on... aside from that there have been discussions about the issue of describing or naming the post and also the descriptions of the ws and people keep writing the same headings, hi, help, a question, etc... and i was not talking about recent post since i know they are easy to find, i am talking how difficult it is to find old posts when you have to search over 10 or 20 pages because of the many post about the games, just to give an example.. in february,  there have been 32 posts of wod and the month it isnt finished yet, not counting the other 2 games i have seen. when you search only 10  post are shown per pages so this game only can make up for at least 3 or 4 pages to search when looking for something. so in my honest opinion  it is easier to move the game than to ask people to start writing proper headings. the players will follow the game to any place.  

18 Feb 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Liz,
as it is known, I totally agree with you. It would be easier if there were a special section for these games. I started complaining about it last week, when there were 6 threads concerning games and 4 asking for help - with no answer. I am with you on this one.Thumbs Up

18 Feb 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

It is so awfully hard to find a consensus on anything here, for whatever reason that might be. It would be so nice if someone or sometwo simply took charge and did things...

If people start threads like this one here, it is normally because they sense that quite a few others feel the same but are not motivated enough to take a stand and say something. Those who do say something shouldn�t have to feel afraid of making suggestions in order to make this a teensy bit better a place than it already is.

Thank you, Liz, for standing up for what you believe in, for being creative and for looking for neverending professional growth!

18 Feb 2011     

lshorton99
China

Personally, I feel like these sort of games bring the site back to the feeling of community that it used to have. Educationally speaking they also have a lot of value (I �ve learnt more than one new word with the WOD game) and they encourage people to think, something that should never be undervalued. Were these games to be moved to the cafe, it wouldn �t be possible to play them - everyone is here at a different time, there �d be trouble with continuity of a game.

I �m not on the site as often as I used to be and my hours are very different to the majority of members. When I do get to the forum, I �d much rather read people �s amusing and well thought out definitions of words as opposed to people complaining or asking about points. When I have time I go back and check recent posts to look at questions and see if there are any where I have relevant experience or time to answer so I can �t say that the posts related to games in any way distract me from requests for help. The only difference for me now is that with less time, I �d rather read something interesting on the forum than be annoyed and frustrated by ongoing complaints or members asking questions about something clearly stated in the rules. I �m too tired to be as patient as I used to be!

I understand how some people could find it annoying but think in terms of the classroom -we rarely teach a lesson without some kind of educational game to help students learn and to motivate them. Think of the forum in a similar way!

Lindsey

19 Feb 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I�m neutral on this topic - it really doesn�t bother me where they are

however

if the games have their own section then so should subjects like

- "where are my points"
- "why have I been reported"
- "I want to complain to a moderator"
- "do I say on or at the page"
- Comenius projects
- penpals

...and the such like.  These all take up just as much room as the games.

My only negative comment on the games is that the pictures/graphics should be of a smaller size so as to not distort the forum - half the size of the post your reply box is sufficient, imho.

19 Feb 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Like Jayho, I �m sitting on the fence when it comes to games but I do agree that all pictures/ graphics should be of an appropriate size..perhaps 5-6cm square or 2in square.

I also get frustrated when I see "where are my points?" or "why have I been reported?" posts but I guess we need to remember that all though we older members have seen them a million times it is a genuine and immediate concern for the person posting, often for the first time.

Oh if it were a perfect world!

19 Feb 2011     

< Previous   1    2