Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What īs the correct expression?    

What īs the correct expression?

cacucacu
Argentina

What īs the correct expression?

Hi! dear collegues.
This time I need your help. Please I īd like to know what īs the correct expression for students to ask for permission to come to the front in class. Is it
Can I come out to the front?
Can I pass to the front?
or Can I come to the front?

Thanks to all of you!
Love from Argentina
Naty

20 Feb 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

May I come to  the front?

20 Feb 2011     

Abbes_Z
Morocco

I would personally opt for: "May/Could I move to the front?"
īHope this will help.. Smile

20 Feb 2011     

britishschwa
Cayman Islands

"May I come to the front?"

20 Feb 2011     

rovk
China

i always use "may" for offering something or self for something.

may i help you?

20 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Naty,

"May I come to the front, please?"

Les

20 Feb 2011     

cacucacu
Argentina

Thank you Les!
Thank you rovk!
Thank you britishchwa!
Thank you Abbes Z!
Thank you Edrodmedina!
It īs really clearer for me now!

20 Feb 2011     

Enid Stella
South Africa

"Can I come to the front, please?" or "May I come to the front, Please?" are both OK. Using īmay � is the more polite version. At one time īcan � was not acceptable in this type of question but through constant use it has now become accepted as being correct.

20 Feb 2011     

mariaelaine
Malta

The request has to start with īMay �.  In fact, if the kids start with � Can �, I usually tell them � You can but you may not! � Like this they got used to it : )

20 Feb 2011     

Abbes_Z
Morocco

..One more thing, please!
Considering the proper meaning of the verbs "come" and "go", it is more appropriate to say: "May I go and sit in the front?" -- which is another wiser alternative. Smile

20 Feb 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Abbes Z,

If the Teacher was standing next to one Student, in the body of the Class, and the Teacher īs space at the front of the Class was vacant, then your request: "May I go ... " would be acceptable, because that one Student would go away from the Teacher, towards the front of the Class. 

However, Naty uses the expression "for students to ask for permission to come to the front".

It is not possible for the Teacher to stand in the body of the Class, adjacent to all Students, simultaneously.  Consequently, the requirements for my first paragraph don īt exist.

Moreover, Naty uses the verb īto come � and not īto go �.  The examples which she herself gives, confirm that she is thinking in terms of the verb īto come �.  I suggest that Naty is mentally imagining herself to be in her customary place, at the front of the Class, and that the chosen Student will come towards her.

If I telephone my friend to ask if I may visit him, I say: "May I come to visit you, please?" not "May I go to visit you, please?"  I am imagining myself entering his house.  I am not imagining myself leaving my house.

Similarly, the Student imagines entering the Teacher īs space and, therefore, uses the verb īto come �

Les

20 Feb 2011