Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with definition:     

Help with definition:

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Help with definition:

Hi guys,

I �m helping on a ws for a fellow teacher, it �s on LOST IN TRANSLATION, the movie, but I haven �t seen it and I ran into an expression which I couldn �t completely get: stateside marriage.

This is the context: . "Charlotte is looking for her place in life, and Bob is tolerating a mediocre stateside marriage."

I thank you in advance.

Regards,

Bruna

20 Feb 2011      

PhilipR
Thailand

Stateside marriage = marriage in the States (USA) i.e. Bob �s married (to someone) in the USA but his marriage isn �t exactly successful... (just going through the motions).

20 Feb 2011     

Errie
Japan

Stateside is from what I know about it a slang term for the USA. If an American lives in another country they might say...he/she is stateside.

In the context you gave it might mean.....that Bob agrees to marry Charlotte in whatever country they are living.

Please correct me if I �m wrong.

errie

20 Feb 2011     

britishschwa
Cayman Islands

Stateside (SLANG) is used as an adjective or adverb denoting the USA.

20 Feb 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Thanks so much, guys... I had looked "stateside" up, and found the USA related definition, I just couldn �t fit into the whole thing... but your explanations helped me a lot. Thanks once more!

Wink

20 Feb 2011     

britishschwa
Cayman Islands

No uso geral, a palavra significa simplesmente �nos Estados Unidos,�

i.e .."Bob est� tolerando uma uni�o mediocre nos EUA"

Pardon my Portuguese !Confused

Have a wonderful day!

20 Feb 2011