Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the day: JARGOGLE    

Word of the day: JARGOGLE

Jayho
Australia

Word of the day: JARGOGLE

Thanx for your PM Frank - In an effort to keep this post small
- just a mere 3 lines 2day -  [�cos of the recent discussion] 
Ya�all know the rules - �daffyne� JARGOGLE - Good Luck

20 Feb 2011      

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s a variation on beer goggles: you neck enough booze and even Rosa Klebb  starts to look fanciable. The jargogle occurs when you �re so pi**ed, you can �t even remember how much you �ve been drinking (more jars than are good for you, you can be sure) and you can �t even get up to ask Rosa for a dance. All you can manage is a rubbery, lecherous, starey-eyed ogle.

PS You could reduce the space even further by abbreviating your title, but instead of WOTD or even WOD, just write WD (the �of � and the �the � are equally superfluous). And when we reach WD40, we �ll know that we �ve done our bit to prevent any further corrosion of the standards of this forum :)

With apologies to Lotte Lenya.

20 Feb 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

Jargogle is what my son does when he peeps and ogles into chocolate cream or peanut butter jars to see if there is anything left

20 Feb 2011     

crisholm
Spain

But of course, it �s the jargon of cathedrals! They always tell a story!

20 Feb 2011     

lshorton99
China

Hmmm

This is an easy one. I have an insane boss who thinks everyone is lazy if they work fewer than 45 hours a week, believes that shouting and threatening dismissal is motivational and just recently kept half the team at work until midnight to tell them how bad their work was before taking the next morning and following entire day off because she had �exhausted � her voice.

Jargogle is when we stare at each other in disbelief over a large (or jar of) beer while telling stories of the latest horror she has perpetuated on us!

Lindsey

(PS - this story is true so please don �t include me in the actual game - I �m only 3 days into my 5 day week and have already done nearly 30 hours - this is much needed comic relief before returning to the fray!!!!)

20 Feb 2011     

imanito
Morocco

The jargogle is this summer �s new glasses fashion. They are in the shape of a jar and they are so � la mode. I saw Paris Hilton wearing them in her show "My New BFF". Everyone is wearing them;men,women,children,pets and even cartoon caracters Shocked

Great,isn �t it?

21 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

JARGOGLES are what we end up wearing once age plays tricks with our eyesight! The lenses are as thick as a JAR �s glass...

21 Feb 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Mar

You are the winner - congrats

The real meaning:

Verb trans. � �To confuse, jumble� � First of all this word is just fun to say in its various forms. John Locke used the word in a 1692 publication, writing �I fear, that the jumbling of those good and plausible Words in your Head..might a little jargogle your Thoughts�� I�m planning to use it next time my husband attempts to explain complicated Physics concepts to me for fun: �Seriously, I don�t need you to further jargogle my brain.�

Cheers

Jayho

21 Feb 2011