Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > question    

question

saszka2
Poland

question

While teaching my students I came across the following sentence in their workbook "What happened at the factory?"
One of my students asked why it was "at the factory" and not "in the factory".
Does anybody know why???

21 Feb 2011      

Bella29UMM
Mexico

"in" and "at" are both used for the same purpose when talking about closed places
example:
in the museum
at the museum
in fact I think is more common to use "at"

21 Feb 2011     

nacerfor
Algeria

I think that the action happened near the factory and not inside the factory that �s why they used "at" instead of "in".

21 Feb 2011     

kmochniak
Poland

"IN" is used to denote that something happened inside the factory building, whereas "AT" means factory more as an institution, it is simply a broader term. It could happen inside the building as well as outside. I think both prepositions can be used interchangeably here.

Tell me if I �m wrong.

Hugs,

KAsia

21 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

The question refers to the business as well as the physical location. Not necessarily, as Nasro says, �inside � the factory. Compare it with �what happened at school today? �.

21 Feb 2011     

Apodo
Australia

This is the way �at � is commonly used.
I work at/in a bank, at/in a factory.

Where were you today?  I was at work, at school, at home, at the shop.
If we want to know about an event that happened, we ask; What happened at the factory, at school.

I agree with Bella �at � is probably more commonly used than �in � for this type of question/sentence.

22 Feb 2011     

thedropper
Japan

I think �in � refers to one �s physical location in relation to the building, either �inside � or �outside � the building.  �at � is a more general term that refers to the location which includes the building and it �s surrounding grounds.  Because events can happen �inside � or �outside � a location �at � is generally used to describe the whole institution including the surrounding grounds.  As you get more specific in telling the story of "what happened" it is likely you will change the preposition to be more specific therefore using �in � or �out �.

I hope this helps!

22 Feb 2011