Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Classroom management: Tardiness    

Classroom management: Tardiness

brookee
United States

Classroom management: Tardiness

I�m looking for some ideas and strategies from you great teachers!

How do you address student tardiness?

I teach adults and it�s so problematic.  Thanks!  Brooke

10 Dec 2008      

fletsch
Canada

Hey there:

I have a few different ways I deal with tardiness.  Usually I tell them at the beginning of the term that if you are late, you must sing an English song (no excuses).  I always have some song sheets on hand to give them and they must come up in front of the class and sing.  It takes a bit of coaxing, but their classmates love this and they are on your side and force him/her to sing.  That student is never late again. 

I find that the best way is to slightly embarrass them without being rude or angry.  This way it is a win win situation...

Fletsch

10 Dec 2008     

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

Oooooh... I know this problem so well. ;0) I think it�s almost impossible to teach all of your adult students to come on time. Besides, you can�t always blame it on them - we live in the world of traffic jams after all! However, here is what I do so as to at least minimize the negative impact of someone�s tardiness:

a) I try to start each class with some warm-up exercises like tongue-twisters, etc., or just talk to students of more advanced levels, asking them about their weekend, etc. This way, if someone is 10 or 15 minutes late (and someone almost always is) this person doesn�t miss anything important.

b) If someone does come too late, when we have already started going through the new material, I try to introduce the person to what we�re doing in as few words as possible, so as to not lose time. If they still have some questions, I tell them to come up to me during the break or stay after class, which is what no one normally likes doing (our classes finish at 21.30). I�ve discovered that some students actually try to come on time in order not to miss the detailed explanation.

16 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

If you teach adults, I take it you teach private classes. �Well make them pay for a complete class, and take a good book with you.

17 Dec 2008     

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

No, personally, I  teach adults in a language school, where they pay for the complete course in advance. Of course, no one pays them back for the classes that they�ve missed, but tardiness is very disruptive in itself.

17 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Rabin,

This problem drives me crazy.  I did a lesson once on the importance of punctuality and timeliness to my culture.  People were amazed at how important being on time is to me personally.  They had never realised that being late was taken as a lack of respect.  they decided i was crazy being on time religiously to the point where I am usually early, and thought it was hilarious that I would stop waiting for someone once they were 15 minutes late - me assuming they weren�t coming (this assumption is very sound in New Zealand, and very unsound in Chile!!!!)

This lesson backfired spectacularly when I was late the following week because my house had flooded and I had to wait for my husband to get home to take over the mopping up duties with the firemen!

They then got a lesson on how to apologise profusely, blush, and saw their teacher flustered for the first time! 

They actually were very nice about the whole thing - and the lesson on punctuality had been done in great humour as well as we thought of situations where it is acceptable, ways to apologise sincerely,  and good excuses for being late that are bound to make people double up with laughter.  They thought I was kidding at first with my excuse and were all laughing crazily!

17 Dec 2008     

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

Hi Vickii!  Wow, this is so interesting! Good thinking on your part. Tongue Unfortunately, here in Russia, which is where I come from and where I teach, punctuality is not one of the major assets. Smile I spent a year teaching Russian in the USA, and I just loved how punctual most people were... and if they were late, they actually regarded this as something to be ashamed of and apologize for. Now that I�m back home, I mostly work with business people, some of whom, surprisingly, seem to have no idea of etiquette...

17 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I find the whole time concept very difficult.  So far I have always managed to be the first to arrive anywhere...  I tried really hard to be late to a party last weekend.  I didn�t start getting ready until the time they had told us it would start, then I walked there, bought drinks on the way, and still managed to turn up first! Oh yeah - then apologised becuase I was feeling so rude, and the hostess was nice enough to let me help her get things ready as she wasn�t expecting anyone for at least another half hour or so!  Embarrassed

18 Dec 2008     

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

LOLClapThumbs Up This is what usually happens to me here at home.

18 Dec 2008