Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD     

WOD

edrodmedina
United States

WOD

Hello all. Thank you Douglas for the honor and prestige you have bestowed upon this humble servant. The new WOD is filipendulous. Let�s try and get some outstanding (I guess instanding would do also) daffynitions. As that little Belgium detective might say, �Use your little gray cells.� Remember do not give us a dictionary definition. Be creative. Be kind. Because.

24 Feb 2011      

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Oh, I know this word quite well. It�s an adjective used to describe a temporary phase some teens go through. You see, �fili� from Filipa, my 16-year-old daughter, my treasure too, and �pendulous� the same as �undecided�, therefore having difficulties in choosing one�s future career.

Cristina

24 Feb 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello Ed

Hi Cristina, sorry, you are not right - that �s not your lovely Filipa.

Fili is obviously mispelled, Ed wanted to write FILL, as in "Fill a cup with coffee.

Pendulous is that part of a grandfather �s clocks that keeps on swinging from right to left.

So, Fillpendulous is what teachers feel when the school bell rings to start work - we feel filled with pendulous.
Linda

24 Feb 2011     

imanito
Morocco

filipendulous is a coined adjective from the very famous gang boss Felip� the Andalusian who had been known for his crazy temper especially if one of his men screwed a job. So with time, people started using this gangster �s name to describe people with crazy tempers. 

"did you see Alqadafi �s speech the other day? He is such a filipendulous dude."

24 Feb 2011     

evgenija_kuka
Macedonia

filipendulous is an adjective describing a very special feeling you get in your body exactly the moment before your lips touch the lips of the person you love, i.e. before you kiss. it is coined from three words: FILL, LIPS and PEND and literally means: the feeling you get while waiting for your lips to touch the other person �s lips.. :DDDD
                         eg:I could live on that filipendulous moment for weeks and weeks....

24 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

filipendulous...

filip = Phillip
pendulous = hang

Filipendulous is the artistic name Phillip has given the act he performs every night at Barnum & Bailey �s Circus. The owners have warned him that if he falls on his head AGAIN.... they will fire him, so he practices and practices to get his pendulating right!

24 Feb 2011     

douglas
United States

Fili (filly) - a young horse also a (slightly derogatory) term for a young desirable woman
pendulous- to swing bewteen two points

filipendulous- and adjective describing a young cowboy when he is in the situation of having two beautiful and desirable women that he is interested in and they share the same feelings for him.  He pendulates between the two "fillies".

Note: If he doesn �t decide soon enough he will lose both.

Douglas

25 Feb 2011     

sameera1977
United Arab Emirates

Hi

It is actually my first time using the new head way plus Pre intermediate student book i would be very grateful if somebody should share with me their lesson plans and activities from unit 7, 8,9,10.

you can email me on [email protected]

25 Feb 2011