Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > please help me    

please help me

mahaenglish
Egypt

please help me

Hello my friends please tell me about a creative way to explain the sounds of ou and ow . I will teach this lesson to student in grade2.
                                                                                                          Thanks Smile

28 Feb 2011      

miesies muis
Namibia

I decide on the words I want my learners to know and then write a simple story using the words. 
Read the story to the learners and ask them to listen to the specific sound. (in this case it will sound the same). 
Put flash cards and pictures of the words in a box. The students will get a chance to take a word or a picture from the box and read or say what it is. 
You should also make two big cards with the ow and ou on. Ask the learner who took out the word or picture, where they think it should be. (you can make it interesting by putting in words that are spelled incorrectly example cou instead of cow) This will make it more challenging for the "smarter" kids. 

Some advice. Try to teach only one sound at a time. I found that it isn �t as confusing. Word ladders is also a good idea.

Lots of Love
Elanie

28 Feb 2011     

mahaenglish
Egypt

Many thanks Clap Thumbs Up Clap

28 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello Maha... Google "words with ow" and "words with ou" and you �ll get word lists that you can use for your stories and woksheets.

28 Feb 2011     

puddyd
Oman

I usually go up to a ss and ask them what sound they would say if I pinched or hurt them-you could mime it- and that is how you introduce it to the ss and then you could add to the  ditty of 

How now brown cow?
you add-Mr Cow , I believe you found something on the ground today? Yes, I found another brown cow with a big  frown. He was crying ow, ow, ouch because he fell down after tripping over a mound of ground.I helped him up and took him back to his house.He walked very slowlyand on the way home we passed a crow who wanted to know the story about how he fell down ...............

You could make flash cards for the story and let the students add to it. Maybe you can write it up on the board and highlight the spelling differences etc...

I agree though , that they should first be taught separately and maybe use this as a consolidation then. 

28 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

You have to remember that the combination of vowels �ou � and �ow � (OK, semi-vowel there) can be pronounced in so many different ways: through/thought/though/thou; crow/crowd etc.  Keep it simple at first and introduce the differences gradually. Whatever you do, don �t insist that there is only one sound for each combination.

28 Feb 2011