Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > spanish expressions    

spanish expressions

morganalin
Portugal

spanish expressions

Can anyone help me with the meaning of the following spanish words?

1- "ser un cutre"
2 - "ser un cerdo"
3- "pillar un mosqueo"
4- "salir un churro"

And can u also give examples of phrases with these words?
 thanks a lot in advance for your help

1 Mar 2011      

irene flowers
Spain

Hello Morganalin,

You know those are slang Spanish expressions. "Ser un cutre" means to be "shabby", it is a person who does things in a very poor way. For instance, I invite you to my house and I offer spoilt food or I only offer a can of Coke to share with five people, or if I only dress myself with very very cheap clothes, or If I try to hide myself so that I won �t pay in a restaurant and make other people pay for me... something like that. "Cutre" means very poor quality for things. You can say: "Nos invit� a la fiesta y no hab�a comida, es una cutre" or "Se viste con ropa demasiado barata, es un cutre"

"Ser un cerdo" means to be very rude. It could be a man who makes uncomfortable sexual allusions to women or someone who eats with his/her hands or belchs all the time. "No paraba de mirarme el trasero, es un cerdo" or " Se met�a los dedos en la nariz delante de todos, es un cerdo"

"Pillar un mosqueo" is a very colloquial expression that means "To get angry" "mosquearse" means To get angry "pillar" is the colloquial for "take" or "catch" but you can also say "pillar un mosqueo" "Mi novia se mosque� conmigo ayer porque no la llam�" or "He llegado tarde al trabajo y mi jefe se ha pillado un buen mosqueo"

"salir un churro" is an expression used when you try to do something and it gets spoilt. For instance, when you try to cook a wonderful meal and it is very salty of it gets burnt. "La comida me ha salido hecha un churro" When you do an exam and you cannot answer even one question, you can say: "Me ha salido un churro de examen"

I hope it is useful for you, anyway if you need more help, only ask. Regards!!!

1 Mar 2011     

coyote.chus
Spain

Hi,

Ser un cutre means something like trying to be cool and not succeeding in it. As a result he is the opposite of cool. but it can also refer to someone mean, in the British sense of the word, tight-fisted, he won �t spend his money on other people, for example. Alo referred to dirty places, for example hotels or restaurants, not very well-cared of.
I don �t know if the word cumbersome in English could be an equivalent.

Ser un cerdo is used for people who are like pigs in the sense of not being a very clean person, with his own body or with his house, etc... It can also refer to a man who is all the time making dirty jokes about sex and all day thinking about sex.

Pillar un mosqueo is a very colloquial expression, slang. It means get angry.

Salir un churro is also slang. It means that something was worse than expected. It went really bad. Something you make with your hands or exams, for example.

Examples:
- La fiesta de cumplea�os de Pedro fue muy cutre, igual de cutre que �l, no hab�a bebida suficiente, y todo estaba sucio y desordenado. Fue lamentable.

- �Qu� t�o m�s cerdo! Est� todo el d�a pensando en lo mismo. (sexo) / Es un cerdo, se cree que con ducharse una vez a la semana es suficiente.

- Juan se pill� un buen mosqueo el otro d�a cuando me vio con suamigo Luis.

- He estado dos horas haciendo este dibujo y al final meha salido un churro. �Tendr� que repetirlo!

I hope everything is clear now.
Hugs,
Chus.

1 Mar 2011     

morganalin
Portugal

Well, Irene and Chus thanks a lot for your quick and kind reply. This will be very helpful for my study.
Have a good night and thanks once again for your help.
Greetings from Portugal

1 Mar 2011