Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > trouble explaining some/any    

trouble explaining some/any

Tatyana83
Armenia

i call them POLITE STATEMENTS "So we caN say: give me SOME BANANAS "but being polite -I say Can I have some?
Have some water( if you want) but being polite i say Would you like some?

2 Mar 2011     

sassouki
Tunisia

I guess it �s about modals (would/ can / should ...) you use some with modals and for yes/no questions with do or to be you use any.

2 Mar 2011     

jrg2
Japan

I learned this from a friend who was learning English as a second language in the US.

She was living with a family in the US.  The family had 4 kids.  At dinner, the kids wanted to drink juice.  They �d ask, "Can I have juice?"
The parents would say, "No.  Milk is better for you."
The kids were frustrated.  Every time they asked for juice, their parents said no.
One day the kids asked for just a little juice... "Can I have some juice?"  The kids were learning to negotiate, with the message implicitly meaning, "Can I have any amount of juice that you think is fair, please?"

It was more difficult for the parents to say no, because the kids were trying to say, "Hey, I don �t need three glasses of juice.  A small amount will be good enough for me, just as long as I get some."

That �s what I think. :-)

3 Mar 2011     

< Previous   1    2