Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Another Grammar Question (Simple Present + generally)    

Another Grammar Question (Simple Present + generally)

Mietz
Germany

Another Grammar Question (Simple Present + generally)

I seem to be really confused today ... Wacko

Is it:
I don�t generally remember where I put my glasses.  OR
I generally don�t remember where I put my glasses.

I think it�s the second sentence, but why? I�d actually not use generally for that one at all, but in that case the student�s choice of word probably comes from the very similar German word...

Thanks again and in advance!!! Embarrassed

11 Dec 2008      

Cassy
Brazil

Hi, again. Thumbs Up
The second one is the correct form, before "don�t" (subject + frequency adverb + negative (in this case don�t) + verbs).
I generally don�t remember where I put my glasses.
See ya
Cassy

11 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Hi Cassy,
Thank you!
But why do I say:
I generally don�t remember where I put my glasses. BUT
I say: I don�t always remember where I put my glasses.

What�s the difference? I just don�t get it, and I just asked a native speaker (Scottish) and he just commented, that English is a crazy language... Wacko
Sorry to bother you!
Mietz

11 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hey Mietz...

I believe it has to do with the "always" .. when used in the negative form it has to be "subject + neg aux + always + verb".. Try it in any sentence and you will see...

"I don�t always eat my peas". - and not - "I always don�t eat my peas"...

"He doesn�t always go home on Friday."- and not - "He always doesn�t go home on Friday"

Linda

11 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Hi Zora - f,
I�m not sure about the "always". Of course you are right about where it stands, but I think in a negative Simple Present sentence you could put most of the Adverbs of Frequency between the negative Auxiliary and the main verb. (e.g. I don�t normally ask silly grammar questions. OR I don�t often ask silly grammar questions.)
Actually I just thought about that one:
I usually don�t ask silly grammar questions. ...

Could that actually depend on each Adverb of Frequency individually? Sigh...

Thanks for your patience!

11 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

I have no idea... but as an English speaker I would SAY " I don�t always eat my peas", meaning I do sometimes but not always... and the other  sentence " I always don�t eat my peas", well I would never say that as it sounds like the meaning is "I never eat my peas". Which is exactly what I would say if I never ate them.
I don�t know if that helped or confused the matter further... sorry!

11 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

My TEFL-teacher used to say:
The Simple Present isn�t always simple and not always present.
-> I totally agree!

I know, that it doesn�t sound right to say: I always don�t eat my peas. OR    I don�t generally remember where I put my glasses.
But I wonder if there is some grammatical reason for that.
If not, I�ll just bring my usual German reasoning on that one. We usually don�t know, why we say things either. It�s just the way it is... Smile

Thanks for the input (so far)!

11 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , All  There

A little more confusion:
Which is correct?
"I sometimes don�t do the homework."
OR
"I don�t sometimes do the homework."

Whatever the answer I really want to know the why of it.

11 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

I would say " Sometimes I don�t do the homework"
I can�t tell you why.The second one to me sounds definitely wrong and the first one sounds ok, but if I was speaking it I would start the sentence with sometimes as that is how I would say it to someone...
I really need to brush up on my rules.... :-)

11 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Hi goodnesses - I already wondered if you were going to join us. ;-)
Thanks for adding more confusion. I agree with your question - WHY?! Wacko

11 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Well... guess what? I am gonna say that I agree - it probably depends on the adverb... and in goodnesses example I agree wholeheartly with cheezels... I�d say, "I sometimes don�t do my homework" not the other way around...

11 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >