Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO TEACH SYLLABLE DIVISION?    

IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO TEACH SYLLABLE DIVISION?

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO TEACH SYLLABLE DIVISION?

hello again, i was wondering if you know if there is a simple set of rules that my 3rd grades can understand when dividing words.   my problem is that if the student doesn �t know how to pronounce the word, dividing the word is difficult for them.  if you know any trick please let me know.

6 Mar 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It has never even occurred to me to divide the words into syllables. That �s usually the way our kids learn their mother tongue here in Ukraine. And we teach them to read new words in English by their transcription. Each lesson we begin with phonetic drills or warm-ups with phonetic symbols. But I �ve seen smth like that (there �s an option that allows to play words sound by sound if you click on them) on this website (you probably have it in your bookmarks somewhere). May be it will help you to somehow deduce the method?Smile
Sophia
@Mar: wonderful ideas! We also use clapping when dividing words into syllables in our mother tongue, why not in English:)

7 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear Liz, the way I teach my kids syllable division is telling them that the syllables depend on the VOWEL SOUND they can hear in a word.

For example, in the word "bird" you can only hear ONE vowel sound, so it has ONE syllable: bIrd.
The word "remember" has 3 syllables because you can HEAR 3 vowel sounds: rE-mEm-bEr

Another technique I use with them is that I write the word on the board in big letters. And I have a ball. I call a child to the front, to read the word and he/she must bounce the ball the number of times the word has a syllable. If they get it correct, they get a point or some other incentive. I do this with a list of vocabulary words that we have already practiced pronunciation with, so they know how to read the word when it �s their turn to come up.

I �ve learned that if they do something physically, they remember better.

7 Mar 2011     

dturner
Canada

Have you typed into google "How to divide words into syllables"?  I just did and there were many hits.  I checked a couple and they both have good suggestions.  I can see your problem in that if they don �t know how to pronounce the word, they can �t divide it.  I think knowing the word first, of course, would be needed, and then, go to the rules -- like you can �t divide between two vowels (oa (boat)) or two consonants --(th, gh gr) and so on.  I get my students to clap the words, but of course they have to know how to say it first.  You could do an echo game -- you clap and they repeat in order for them to learn the words you are studying.  Hope the internet sites have lots of info.  Good luck. dt

7 Mar 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

yes i searched but the thing is that what i found migh be difficult for them to grasp. mar.. that is a great idea i think i will try that. though my problem is that i am preparing them for a national test and they might find words they dont know, so i guess i will try to get them do their best with what they know.

7 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Oops, national test! Then they can �t be bouncing the ball up & down, can they? LOL Then it would be a good idea to mix strange unknown words in the list of their already known vocabulary, so they "get used" to unfamiliar words...

In this test, will they be able to "see" (read) the word, or just hear it? You have a big challenge ahead, Liz, wish you lots of luck!!!

7 Mar 2011     

libertybelle
United States

I use the one-vowel-per-syllable technique.  Endings are often a separate syllable.
RE-MEM-BER-ING.
I often look at lyrics under notes in music sheets.  They are almost always correct!

7 Mar 2011