Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Points    

juliag
Japan

I agree, interesting reading for me, too.
What lovely roots to the tradition, looking up into the light sky to symbolize the end of the cold, dark winter.

Think I �ll try it here tomorrow when I �m walking my dog, albeit minus the kite, in the hope of hurrying spring along. Even if it doesn �t work am sure to enjoy the experience.

Thank you all for sharing your very interesting culture and traditions with us.Hug

7 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Thank you for the little lesson on Greek traditions. I love learning new things like this. Smile

7 Mar 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Julia in Kyoto there �ll be a festival for the coming of spring, do you know anything about it? Except for what we can read in books or wikipedia. It is something about cherry trees.

Ciao

7 Mar 2011     

juliag
Japan

Hi Mariannina,

Sorry I don �t know anything about that, but it is true that the coming of Spring, symbolized most famously  by the cherry blossom, is celebrated here. Many people here have "hanami." It basically means parties/picnics with delicious foods and often lots of beer under the cherry blossom trees, which are delightful in bloom and, as you probably know, represent the evavescence of our life here on earth.

You can see some pictures of hanami here:

Actually, this might just be in the countryside area where I live, but many people also enjoy seeing the fukujusou, which they call the first flower of spring. It �s a very sturdy kind of flower, but I must admit I was overjoyed to see some of them in bloom on the  moutainside that gets a lot of sunshine a couple of weeks ago as the cherry blossom here is still at least a couple of weeks away, and possibly nearly a month away.
Here are some pictures of fukujusou for those of you who are interested. I �ve never seen it in England, but you might find it in some of your countries too, I wonder:

One of my favorite traditions of the start of spring here is eating fukinoto tempura. Fukinoto grows wild in the mountains, my boyfriend and I pick it on our walks with my dog and then he makes the delicious tempura that we (or mainly I!!!Wink) eat with a pinch of salt. he always teases me that even if he fills the bag, it is only enough for one sitting for me because I love the bitter taste of spring so much!
Again, this is not something I �ve ever seen in England, do any of you know it? pictures here:

Well, I had better get to bed now but looking forward to reading about some spring customs in other countries tomorrow.

Love to all
Julia

7 Mar 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Julia, thanks for your description of the Japaese spring tradition. Maybe the flower is an "anemone" but I don �t know how to say it in English Embarrassed. I don �t recognize the other one. I �ll ask the "experts" in the cafe.
Ciao.
Mariannina

7 Mar 2011     

< Previous   1    2