Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Confusing words...again...    

Confusing words...again...

magneto
Greece

Confusing words...again...

Hello everyone!

...Boy, those synonyms are killing me!

Multiple choice question:

Young children are often ...... to illnesses such as measles.
a. liable b. sensitive c. apt d. susceptible

According to the teacher �s book, the correct answer is d. - susceptible...

And here I am, thinking I �ve got it all figured out, preparing my vocabulary notes for class and ready to explain to my students (with absolute certainty, mind you) why the correct answer is not a, b or c...Until - while preparing these notes - I come across  liable to sth in the OALD and find out that can also mean "likely to be affected by something". The structure is the same and even the examples given are very similar (liable, meaning 3 and susceptible, meaning 1)...
So, I �m asking you, dear colleagues: Why susceptible and not liable?Confused

Thank you in advance for your help and kindnessSmile

Greetings from (a bit) snowy Greece!

8 Mar 2011      

Tatyana83
Armenia

If I could just cut in here and be of any help:

The term "susceptible" is far mo likely to be used in "medicinedesease" contest then General term" liable".
Though I �ve also found such expressiones as
- liable to be seasick
-she is liable to go into hysterics

" be liable  to something "-seems to be more judicial term
for sure sensitive is NOT about "being likely to fall ill (with??:)" it all about just SOME PEQUILIAR REACTIONES OF INDIVIDUAL ORGANISM:
- antibiotic-sensitive
-ErmmSmile

8 Mar 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Magneto,

Young children are often ...... to illnesses such as measles.
a. liable b. sensitive c. apt d. susceptible

Oxford Dictionary of English

�liable�: with INFINITIVE - likely to do or be something; patients were liable TO FAINT if they stood up suddenly.

�susceptible�: likely or liable to be influenced or harmed by a particular thing; patients with liver disease may be susceptible TO INFECTION.

In the sentence of the Multiple Choice Question there is NO infinitive following the blank space ---  �to illnesses� is not a verb.  �Illnesses� is a noun, in the same way that �infection�, (the dictionary example given with �susceptible�), is a noun.  Children cannot DO or BE illnesses.  So the word cannot be �liable�.

However, children can be harmed by diseases.

Therefore, if you are choosing between a. liable, and d. susceptible, the choice must be �d. susceptible�.

I hope that this helps you.

Les

9 Mar 2011     

magneto
Greece

Thank you both very much for your explanations! You �ve been very helpful!

...And I really think it �s time I bought the Oxford Dictionary of English!
The Oxford Advanced Learner �s Dictionary gave "liable to + noun" as a structure meaning the same thing. Here �s the example from it: You are more liable to injury if you exercise infrequently.

Anyway, thank you both againSmile

Have a great day/ evening!

9 Mar 2011