Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day (WOD): flibbertigibbet    

Word of the Day (WOD): flibbertigibbet

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (WOD): flibbertigibbet

Just because it is fun to say, the newest WOD is:

flibbertigibbet

I �m looking forward to your fun and/or creative responses.

Douglas

11 Mar 2011      

maryse pey�
France

�FLIppant BaBy BERgamot TInkles GIBBEring under a Tomato � or in other words how to make a blossom of bergamot blush under the reddest possible tomato in a casual and stammering and tinkling way... 

11 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

As you know (and if you didn �t you do now) on weekends I am the local butcher in my little hamlet in New England, so it should not come as a surprise that I know exactly what flibbertigibbet is. It is actually part of the anatomy of fowl. While I do not butcher geese and ducks all that often, hens and turkeys are a common fare here in our little village so I get to see plenty of flibbertigibbet. The flibbertigibbet is is a small organ found near the giblets or gullet in birds. The actual function, much like the function of the appendix in humans, is not known, but many believe that this what makes chicken, well, taste like chicken. It is believed that alligators, their cousins the crocodiles as well as other reptiles, from which it is theorized that birds evolved from, have that same small organ and that is why everyone says that alligators, snakes and turtles taste like chicken. In the photo below I am pointing to the general area where the flibbertigibbet is located, quite near the gall bladder as you can see.

11 Mar 2011