Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > In front of or behind    

In front of or behind

Apswa
Syria

In front of or behind

Dear colleagues,

Which is correct:

1- ( stand  in front of the phone)
   or      2- ( stand  behind the phone)

11 Mar 2011      

foose1
United States

It depends if you are picking up the phone from the front or from behind.  Sometimes, if rarely, I may pick up a phone from behind.  Normally, a phone is facing toward you and you would pick it up standing in front of it.  But there has been occasions when I picked up a phone standing behind it.

11 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

If the phone is on the wall, you can �t stand behind it. If it is on a table, you can stand in front of it or behind it. Maybe we need to know exactly what you are trying to say.

Bruce

11 Mar 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

THE SIMPLE WAY TO EXPLAIN THIS IS AS............

THE PHONE IS ON THE TABLE IN THE KITCHEN............THE OBJECT NOT YOU....!

1.  You are looking away from the phone so the phone is behind you. SAME WITH A MIC!
 2.  You are looking towards the phone so the phone is now in front of you. SAME WITH A MIC!

So depending on where you are looking at the time of let �s say a phone ringing you! you could  be standing in front or behind the phone.

YOU, NOT THE OBJECT....!

The mic is standing in front of you on the stage = in front of you = you are standing behind the mic.
The mic is standing behind you on the stage = behind you = you are standing in front of the mic.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

11 Mar 2011     

Apswa
Syria

Sorry for the mistake.I meant the ( microphone ).I was fool and typed in a rush; didn �t  check my words. Again sorry my colleagues.

1- (   in front of   the microphone )
or       
            2- (    behind     the microphone  )

Thanks a lot, your answers were great. I �ve had the benefit.

Mai

11 Mar 2011     

teacher_dave
Germany

I think it is a question of perspective. For a person who is making a presentation and using a microphone, then they are standing in front of the microphone, looking out to the audience.

From the perspective of the audience, the speaker is standing behind the microphone....

11 Mar 2011     

imanito
Morocco

Standing behind the microphone is the correct one.

11 Mar 2011