Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help German teachers!    

Help German teachers!

Kita19
Portugal

Help German teachers!

Hello!

I need help from german teachers. I am an English and German teacher, but I �m stuck with a sentence in german. A friend of mine asked me what this sentence means:

Vorsicht! nur mit billigleim befestigt!

Anyone knows what "billigleim" means? That �s where I �m stuck, because I know what "billig" and "Leim" mean, but I don �t know if the two together make much sense (unexpensive glue?)

Thanks in advance!

11 Mar 2011      

karina7777
Denmark

in airport
In this case it makes sense... : )

11 Mar 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

If you are correct it would be inexpensive glue, or cheap glue.

11 Mar 2011     

Lillifee
Germany

Hi there!

Yes, that �s correct. "Billigleim" means cheap glue (cheap quality) which doesn �t work very well.

11 Mar 2011     

lisa.weix
Austria

Yes, Ed is right - as always ;D!
Billigleim is cheap glue, actually like the kind of glue you would use with wood...
The ad is not really easy to understand, is it ... Wink
It says "Mehr war bei unseren g�nstigen Tarifen nicht drin. Jetzt mieten unter e-sixt.de." =>
 "We couldn�t afford any better due to our cheap rates... Now rent our cars at e-sixt.de - hm, a little weird in my view ;)
Have a great weekend, hugs,
Elisabeth.

11 Mar 2011     

karina7777
Denmark

I think the idea behind the ad is that their rates are so low that they could only afford cheap glue when they glued the car to the ceiling - so they are saying "Warning - only attached with cheap glue."

11 Mar 2011     

lisa.weix
Austria

Yeah ... but why glue a car to the ceiling in the first place ;D?

11 Mar 2011     

Kita19
Portugal

Thanks a lot everyone! You helped me a lot! :) Now it makes more sense, after seing the add ;) Maybe that �s the add my friend saw lol

11 Mar 2011