Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > low level students    

low level students

nounou96
Albania

low level students

hi everybody

Handshake
what do you first say when you realize you have a class of  low-level students????????????

12 Mar 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Nounou,

I say to myself: "Well, here we go with another New Class!"

At the End of the Year, I say to the Students: "Congratulations on working so hard and doing so well in the Examinations!"

Nounou, things are never as bad as they seem at first.  Stick at it and I am sure that you will find that things will improve!

All the Best to you.

Les

12 Mar 2011     

nounou96
Albania

Hi

thank you for replying
actually the class I am teaching this term is not that bad but I am preparing for a training session and this is the topic I chose: How to deal with low level students

I would start with What teachers say when they realize they are going to teach low level students

What do you think? any help for the topic??????????
I will be very grateful if you give me advice on that

12 Mar 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Nounou,

The first question that I would ask is: �Have these Students been correctly assessed before it was decided to put them in this Class?�

Assuming that the school/college has a proper entry procedure, the probable answer is: �Yes!�

Then, it would be necessary to discover the weaknesses, (and strengths), of each Student.  It is rare for a Student to be weak in all four disciplines of language: Speaking; Listening; Reading; and Writing.

I would assess every Student to ascertain the level of competence in each of the 4 disciplines, trying to discover what the specific weakness of that Student is in, for example, Speaking.

With this knowledge, it becomes possible to group Students together, giving each group a learning task appropriate to the language deficiencies of Students in that group.  I would begin with their most obvious deficiencies, and then move on those that were less important.

My first Lesson would concentrate on boosting the confidence of the Students, so as to increase their motivation to learn English.  Many low-level Students have low self-esteem and they are convinced that they cannot learn.  Their self-confidence, self-belief, and self-pride MUST be restored so that they see a new, exciting life in front of them, full of promise.  Only then will they have a real motive to learn.  Once they are motivated to learn they have the opportunity to succeed in their ambitions.  Once they succeed and achieve their ambitions, their lives will be changed.

You will find some of my thoughts on motivation here.

I hope that I have helped you.

Les

12 Mar 2011