Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > how to respond to ill replies about what is happening in Japan    

how to respond to ill replies about what is happening in Japan

roneydirt
United States

how to respond to ill replies about what is happening in Japan

I had altered my lessons to include on what is happening in Japan.  The problem I am in a very censored country and some views in my classes as I talked about it as in a basic paraphrase, "They got what they deserved" from middle school and lower high school students.  There is a person that has already posted pictures in a PowerPoint of the incident that I thought of using.  I am also looking to add some verbal questions to expand the student �s thinking and speaking on social issues.  I am wondering if there is something else I can do to expand their minds without getting myself in "political trouble?"  It is actually a touchy issue especially with what is happening in the middle east and there has been people that have disappeared for comments that the local government has disagreed with.

13 Mar 2011      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Roney

I can hardly believe it? Where are you working? Which country has such citizens that can feel and behave in such an unbelievable mood?
" They got what they deserved " - just can �t belive - that �s too much for me! Angry

What about them? What do they deserve?

Good luck, Roney, and if you can, move on to a more friendly land.
Linda

13 Mar 2011     

roneydirt
United States

Olindalima.  I would mention the country but it might cause more problems.  It is not all but it is still a quiet statement with the older individuals because they still hold a bad grudge for what happen over 60 years ago during World War II.  The irony part is what was done was taught to the Japanese by this country but even that is extremely taboo statement
My roommates are from this country and they agreed with me but it started an argument with their girl/boyfriends and our other house guests.  It is a very touchy subject here.  So looking for other ways of using it on teaching compasion for others.  Even on nations that are classified as enemy.

13 Mar 2011     

juliag
Japan

I know Japan does still have some bitter relations with some countries after the war, but you might want to point out to the people who express such opinions that most of the people who were involved in the war are dead now.

How can they blame a new generation for what their grandparents did? Most of the people affected can only have been children at best during the war, or born since.

How can they be held to be culpable for things they had nothing to do with, that they weren �t even alive to see in many cases?

Would  your students like to be held culpable for the things that their grandparents did? Surely not, I �m sure they see themselves as independent individuals who are not defined by their ancestors� actions. Then tell them it is the same for people here.

I think it is a good chance to get rid of some of this hatred and intolerance and awaken in them a new compassion for people in trouble whereever they are, whoever they are, whatever their history.

I would not wish such an experience even on my worst enemies.
Well, hope this can give you some ideas on ideas to bring into the classroom and that you will be able to open your students � and housemates � friends and partners hearts and minds, and that they in turn will have a positive influence on the people around them.

Too much hatred in this world.
Love
Julia

13 Mar 2011     

maryse pey�
France

I think that the problem may be due to the great difference of thinking between Western societies and Eastern societies... If we think that there were inhuman wars between Germany and France, both European countries which, theorically, have lots of common thoughts, how can youth easily understand a so different way of life and behavior such Eastern one ? We, as Westerners, think pragmatically, reflect in a reasoning and mathematical way whereas Easterner think with their creative brain. Their writing is based upon drawings whereas our is based only upon 26 letters as a 1st code. I know my alphabet but am completely unable to read German whereas you can show a Japanese text to a Tokyoit or an inhabitant in Osaka they would both understand it ! In such marvelous countries there is only one spirit, a powerful feeling of a unit country. Of course Westerners are talking about the Country but here in France some will say they are 1st Corsican or Briton or Alsacian or... then, only, French... Would Westerners be able to be kamikaze to try to save their country ? Of course we have got very great heroes but in a different way.

Each country is a particular place in the world with its treasures of civilisation and its differences we will feel as "defaults" because our education systems and values are so different... Would a Western man accept to share his wife as a duty to honor his male guests as an Inuit do ?

Young are intolerant because they are not able to understand nuances and they have lived not enough to forgive. You are absolutely right when you want to erase hatred... Of course we cannot understand every way of life but would these intolerant students react as violently if they were said that Aborigines are in danger due to the deforestation ?

I don �t know if I have given you some ideas of discussion but this problem is so painful ...

Plenty of hugs to you.

13 Mar 2011     

holger200
Germany

Roney: Its the new superpower, the land in the middle, isn �t it? Students from that country that were born many years after WWII - without any relation to Nanking massacre survivers - even argued with me about Japan, how they "hate" this country and how the hate is good. I argued with students from this country for a long time, because I couldn �t understand how intelligent students could have so much hate in them. But after so many useless lessons wasted for that I gave up.

13 Mar 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Interesting topic.
Our friends, France, Britain... let Hitler take your country in 1938 and they didn �t help us. (The Munich Pact - Munich Agreement)
Do I hate English, French? No! Do I think the "appeacement" was a terrible mistake? Yes.

One relative of mine was in Pearl Harbor, he was an expert engineer, not an "ordinary" soldier with a gun. He fortunately survived.
Do I hate Japanese? No. It was a long time ago!

Second relative was imprisoned by Nazi and  came back as a 40 kg - a weak skeleton. His friend was shot.
My distant relative was arrested by Nazi in 1940. It was his 70th birtday. He didn �t do anything, he was just an honest and brave man. He died in Dachau concentration camp.
My father was a newborn baby, crying in the cellar when the passing Nazi soldiers started to shoot there. Fortunately he wasn �t harmed.
Do I hate Germans? No. Because it happend 60 years ago!

The Soviet rules, killing of all Czech political "enemies", killing the intelligence changed our lives forever. Frigth, loneliness, desperation, depression. The Soviet solierds were occupating your country for 20 years, although only hundreds of people were shot by them, their camps were extremely envinonmentally unfriendly and in some places we haven �t solved the contamination problems yet.
Do I hate Russians? No.

All those things happening during WWII, in 1948-1960 and after 1968 changed the lives and broke the character of millions of people. Now we wonder why there are so many spineless, unprincipled people here...

Everybody might find a reason to hate some nation. It is our duty to overcome the prejudice, false information and all the horrible things that happened 30-50-70 years ago.
Imagine a small baby in a pram. It might be a small Japanese, German, Russian. French.
Should the baby take all the blame and sin on him/her?
WE ARE ALL BORN INNOCENT and naked. Naked of all sins of our parents.

13 Mar 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

You should ask your students to imagine a situation that their parents made some sins. Should your students pay for the sins of their parents?
Do people in your country blame the sons or daughers of some sinners / criminals... and call the daugthers/sons bad names?

13 Mar 2011     

epit
Turkey

I �m one of the Eastern people .For this reason someones may think that I have no right to get involved this issue but  I couldnt stand .We cant live hating and blaming each other so long cause hating doesnt bring anything to the ones who feed in their souls especially in difficult days.May God help Japanese  people .They are calm people but the days that they live are too difficult .Hugs

13 Mar 2011     

sweetbay
Turkey

"WE ARE ALL BORN INNOCENT and naked. Naked of all sins of our parents." I loved these words.Do I hate Armenians or the French? No.But  I dont want my nation to be blamed for so-called Armenian genocide .I dont want old days to affect the future of my country.I want everyone to be reasonable and stop refusing others.

Peace at Home, Peace in the World

"Mankind is a single body and each nation a part of that body. We must never say �What does it matter to me if some part of the world is ailing? � If there is such an illness, we must concern ourselves with it as though we were having that illness."

Mustafa Kemal Atat�rk

13 Mar 2011     

douglas
United States

Perhaps you could leave Japan at the wayside and start with a theoretical situation where a similar catastrophe occurs in the country where you are teaching. Have them explain what damage would happen, what relatives would be affected, how they would mobilize, etc.

14 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >