Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary    

vocabulary

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

vocabulary

Hi all,

Once again I need your help. I was answering some multiple choice exercises when I came across this sentence:

This ship has a ____ of fifteen people.

A team      B cast      C crew      D company

I immediately answered "C", but since I had no idea in which contexts is th word "company" used when referring to a group of people, I looked it up in the dictionary and found this definition: the people who work in a particular ship.
My question: could answer "D" be right?

Some months ago, one memeber of this community begged not to use the word "doubt" in "I have a doubt". Instead we should use "question". After looking up the meaning of this word in the dictionary, one f my students has written the following sentences in a composition: "Children �s education can be very complicated nowadays. Parents doubt which school they have to choose, which activities their children should do, etc. In my opinion, one of these doubts should be the matter of pocket money."
Do we use the word doubt when we only refer to two things? i feel even I use this word in a wrong way influenced by my mother tongue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

13 Mar 2011      

yanogator
United States

Chenchen,
I found this meaning of "company" in the dictionary, but I have never seen it used that way. I would have answered C.
I would not use "doubt" in these sentences. To doubt means to believe something to be false or wrong, but not to be certain about it. For example, I could say, "I doubt that I will visit Europe this year." It �s possible, but I don �t think that it will happen. The meaning of "doubt" is very similar to "not believe". I checked Dictionary.com, and the first definition they give is "to be uncertain about", but I have never used it to mean that.

For your student �s examples, I would write, "Parents are unsure of which school they should (I wouldn �t say "have to" here) choose...". I really don �t understand the "pocket money" sentence, so I can �t suggest anything for that one. It doesn �t seem to fit the rest of the passage.

I hope this isn �t too confusing.
Bruce

13 Mar 2011