Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ´have long hair ´ vs ´wear long hair ´    

´have long hair ´ vs ´wear long hair ´

Nanex
Brazil

´have long hair ´ vs ´wear long hair ´

Hello everyone!

I have come across the following expressions  ´have long hair ´ and ´ ´wear long hair ´. Which one is correct or more correct? What is the difference between them?

Thank you for your help.

13 Mar 2011      

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I ´ve heard "she has long hair", I have never heard the verb "wear" used when describing people´s hair style.

13 Mar 2011     

yanogator
United States

In the US, at least, we also say, "She wears her hair long".

Bruce

13 Mar 2011     

magneto
Greece

Hello!

I hadn ´t heard wear used to describe people ´s hair style, either, but, apparently it can be used in that context, too.

According, to the OALD, when wear collocates with hair, it means "to have your hair in a particular style". There is also a difference in the way it collocates with hair: We say She has long hair, whereas with wear the structure is She wears her hair long, i.e. there is a change in word order (have + adj. + n VS. wear + n + adj.). (see OALD, wear, meaning 2).

I can ´t quite define the difference in meaning (if any), though. Maybe a native speaker would be of more help on that.

Hope I ´ve helped a bitSmile

13 Mar 2011     

sweet hannah
Egypt

Hi Nanex,
I ´ve come across ´wear ´ with ´hair ´ before. I ´ve read them . I ´ve also seen " He wears a strong perfume. " Check the following links for further details.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/wear
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wear

wish you the best

13 Mar 2011     

rockthevinyl
United States

I agree with what yanogator says; however, I would say it ´s more common to say "She has long hair."

"She wears her hair long" = indicates its her personal choice (in my opinion, anyway!)

13 Mar 2011     

Nanex
Brazil

Thank you very much!

13 Mar 2011     

Riphly
United States

Sooooo . . . ´have long hair ´ = ´wear (ones ´s) hair long ´ IF the hair is hanging down.
BUT, one can ´have long hair ´ and ´wear ones hair up in a bun ´, or some other style.
So, the expressions refer to different concepts. ´Have long hair ´ is the concept of possessing a characteristic. ´Wear ones hair ___ ´ is the concept of an electable style.

14 Mar 2011