Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please, help!    

Please, help!

lemarja3
Slovenia

Please, help!

Is it correct to say: My favourite food is pasta and spaghetti.
Thanks in advance.

13 Mar 2011      

libertybelle
United States

Past and spaghetti are the same thing.
Do you mean Spaghetti Bolognese? (meat and tomato sauce)
We usually say - My favorite dish is meatloaf or spaghetti Bolognese.

13 Mar 2011     

alexcure
Poland

It �s not the same thing, spaghetti is a type of pasta, noodles, for example are also a type of pasta. I �d say: My favourite food is pasta, especially spaghetti. Spaghetti - as a type of pasta can be eaten in many other ways than "Bolonese" (which is a type of first course).

Have look here:

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/pastas/glossary.asp

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pasta

13 Mar 2011     

Lifesabeach48
United States

There are many kinds of pasta.  Pasta are noodles that can be shaped differently, made from different flours, combined with an almost endless  variety of sauces, vegetables, meats, and spices.  Spaghetti is one type of pasta. It can commonly be referring to long, narrow noodles with a Marinara sauce or �red sauce � that is tomato based, sometimes with meatballs.  As for the grammar structure, since you mention 2 things, I would say your sentence like this:  "My favorite foods are pasta and spaghetti."  This would be using the correct plural of �foods � that then requires you to change the verb from �is � to �are �.   I hope that makes sense. :)

13 Mar 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Pasta is pasta - just in different shapes and forms.
Noodles, spaghetti and all the rest are made from pretty much the same ingredients.

wikipedia says:
Pasta is a generic term for foods made from an unleavened dough of wheat or buckwheat flour and water, sometimes with other ingredients such as eggs.

Spaghetti is pasta - therefore it �s redundant to write that pasta and spaghetti are favorite foods.

13 Mar 2011     

alexcure
Poland

But, Lifesabeach48 - the definition of pasta is" dough extruded or stamped into various shapes (e.g. spaghetti, lasagne) for cooking in boiling water and eating, typically with a savoury sauce." In this context I think your sentence has no logical sense. What do you think of:

My favourite food is pasta, especially spaghetti.

13 Mar 2011     

Lifesabeach48
United States

I think, technically speaking, one could like pastas of many sorts AND spaghetti as their favorite foods.  Likely it would be a sentence that could be used in an informal setting, in which case they would want to use correct grammar.  Semantically, it would be more advanced to say it as you have done, referring to it as �especially �, or �particularly � spaghetti, thus keeping it as part of a group of pastas.  Does that make sense, alexcure?

14 Mar 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Alexcure - that �s what I wrote!

14 Mar 2011     

leelei
Denmark

In my country we say in Danish, Grekken foiten hab, which means I like pizza.

14 Mar 2011     

robirimini
Italy

I totally agree with libertybelle and alexcure.
Italians (pasta inventors) never say "My favourite food is pasta and spaghetti" or "My favorite foods are pasta and spaghetti".

"My favourite food is pasta, especially spaghetti." is ok.
Or "I like pasta and spaghetti is my favourite."

14 Mar 2011