Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ´Projector ´ or ´beamer ´?    

´Projector ´ or ´beamer ´?

almaz
United Kingdom

´Projector ´ or ´beamer ´?

Does anyone here use the word  �beamer � to refer to the projector used in interactive whiteboard displays?

I �ve just had a series of those awkward moments when a private student persists in using this odd word - because his (very competent, but non-native) regular English teacher uses it.  I obviously don �t want to undermine her but I had never heard of it in this sense* and certainly couldn �t advise anyone to use it.

Apparently, the teacher learned her English in the US, so it may be common there. But I �d love to know how common this usage is - and where the hell it came from.

* ie  apart from the colloquial references to a BMW or a Glaswegian �red face �.

14 Mar 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Almaz,

Apparently �BEAMER� is a patent name for a type of German projector.  Perhaps that �s what make of projector the previous school used, and it became the �name � for a projector in that school.  As you know, this is similar to �Hoover �; �Gestetner �; �Thermos �, etc. replacing �Vacuum Cleaner �; �Duplicator �; and �Vacuum Flask �. 

Neither my English colleagues, nor I, use any other word but �Projector � for this device.  My 2 English dictionaries, (Oxford and Chambers), don �t refer to the word. 

I hope that this gets you somewhere near an answer.

Les

14 Mar 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m from the other side of the ocean and we also use the word projector. I hear, once in a while, "cannon" but it �s rare.

14 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Thanks, Les.

This explains a lot. Mind you, I �d still like to know if anyone outside the EOI �s in Catalunya uses this term generically.

14 Mar 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Manon,

Cannon? Because it shoots beams/images? I �ve also heard �barco � (boat) here in Spain. Is there another word in Qu�b�cois?

14 Mar 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Almaz, I assume by Quebecois you mean French, we call it "projecteur" or "canon" which probably why we loosely call it "cannon" in English.

15 Mar 2011     

Pachy
Spain

I �ve always used the word "projector" but could your student �s teacher refer to the device called "e-beam", you know, that device which works on normal whiteboards (or even blackboards) doing the same as an interactive whiteboard? We �ve got one in our school and that �s its official name "e-beam"... at least they have part of the name in common.

15 Mar 2011     

Jayho
Australia

I think it relates to the new whiz bang e-beam interactive whiteboard.  I googled e-beam beamer and came across this (there are several references in this document).  When I did e-beam training I did not hear them refer to it as a beamer though.

However, I much prefer the vehicular meaning of beamer.

EDIT:  My post crossed with Pachy

15 Mar 2011