Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed - song suggestion    

Help needed - song suggestion

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Help needed - song suggestion

Dear friends. I teach groups of adult students using the Interchange material. Right now we �re studying unit 5 of the Intermediate level which concerns different customs from country to country. I always like to use at least one song on each unit, but I �m definetely having a hard time trying to figure out some song that match the topic. I was wondering if any of you know of any songs related to this topic. It could be something about a girlfriend/boyfriend from a different culture or anything concerning customs, culture and so on. I �d be really pleased if you coiuld sdend me suggestions.

16 Mar 2011      

Pelletrine
France

Why not have a look at the very classical songs from the musical "West Side Story" ... the theme is all about your topic ?

Good luck :o))

16 Mar 2011     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

I �ll do it right away. Thanks....

16 Mar 2011     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Oops! Song are great, but I guess they �d match better if I showed the movie. As this is not the case for me, I guess it �s not so appropriate.
Still needing help, guys...

16 Mar 2011     

chrissmolder
Australia

I �m racking my brains and I can �t really think of any :-(  This is the best I can think of:

Imagine by John Lennon is a song about harmony between cultures (but in the song he asks us to imagine there is no religion, etc.--maybe that can be a point of discussion)

New York State of Mind by Billy Joel is about homesickness/nostalgia of someone from New York (could be a starting point for a discussion about what makes a place home)

I look forward to seeing what others have to say.

16 Mar 2011     

Riphly
United States

Hi,
It seems you checked out West Side Story, but the song �America � therein probably doesn �t require watching the movie.

Puerto Rico, my heart �s devotion,
Let it sink back in the ocean.
Always, the hurricanes blowing.
Always, the po-pu-la-tion growing
And the money owing,
And the sunlight streaming,
And the natives steaming.
I like the Isle of Manhattan.
Smoke on your pipe and put that in!

Girls: I like to be in America!
         O.K. by me in America!
         Everything free in America! (Boys: For a small fee in America!)
(etc...) [The reversed sentences are charming.]

16 Mar 2011     

ilham
Morocco

Hi,
I suggest  En Vogue �s "Free Your Mind
" or Sly & Family Stone �s "Different Stroke for Different Folks"

16 Mar 2011     

customer
Italy

What about Englishman in New York, by Sting?
Great song, nice video, worksheets here...

Chiara

16 Mar 2011     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Thanks for all the replies, folks! I was out for 2 days and oh! Some very good surprises...Thanks a million.

18 Mar 2011