Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Working with young children.    

Working with young children.

yetigumboots
Germany

Working with young children.

Good morning everyone,  here �s a wee question for those of you who work with small kids. (pre writing and reading stage) Do any of you have simple ideas on how to get them to actually start speaking in little sentences. They all know the basic words - animals, colours, bodyparts etc and of course lots of songs. So far I have only managed to get them ask �whats your name? � - my name is - I like... I can jump etc..
I think my brain is just not working at the moment. Would be glad of any tips.  Kids are age 3-6 and have not started school yet so cannot read or write.

Thanks for your help. Yeti xx

17 Mar 2011      

Apswa
Syria

I �m teaching kids from 6 age to 12 age.

For speaking skill, you can use  puppets to encourage very young pupils to speak.

It �s very useful. You can use toys of cartoon characters that  kids  love. Tell  them  that if they want to speak with ( Mickey. pooh, or any character you chose)they  have to use English as it knows English only. I �m using  spongebob.

For reading& writing skills, after introducing the English letters and their sounds, you can use the activity of re-arrange letters.It �s very good.It helps pupils  in both reading and writing English words.You can ask them to tell you  what �s the letter that dosen �t give a sound.Tell them it �s a silent letter. I tell my pupils that this lettter �s mother told him not to speak.For this reason it doesn �t make any sound.Pupils enjoy it very much. You can let them work in groups and make the activity as a competion. Hope  this help you.Best wishes 

17 Mar 2011     

apayala
Spain

http://www.esl-kids.com/eslgames/eslgames2.html

17 Mar 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear yeti, kids that age do find it difficult, so don �t stress out about it too much. Nursery rhymes and songs help, but what I find most effective, apart from games, are catchy sentences from children �s plays. They absolutely love role-play. I had my preschool lessons yesterday and we played shopping - I had salespeople and buyers and they had to use phrases like Hello, Can I help you, Can I have..., How much is it? etc. and they amazed me with their enthusiasm... They love, love and love acting out short scenes...

17 Mar 2011     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

have a look at Genki English http://genkienglish.net/

17 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hi Yeti,

My mum is helping out since my sister is on maternity leave and mothers are a great thing! LOL Just like Anita, she uses games and role play. The games are simple like Go Fish or Who �s Who. They use constructions like: Have you got a five? Has he got brown eyes? (Or even ... Brown eyes? Blond hair?)

She has them use simple instructions like: Open the door, Close the door... Can I have..., Go to the board, etc.

She has very simple books that they make and then read together with sentences like: I am tall. She is small. They really enjoy this.

Hope that you find something and don �t stress. I am sure they are learning more than you think!! 

17 Mar 2011     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thanks Linda.. (am always stressed Embarrassed.... but in a nice way)
Thanks Anita... I was actually going to do shopping theme this week so you read my mind...Thumbs Up
Thanks to all of you for your help... some nice Ideas....

Lots of hugs Yeti xx

18 Mar 2011