Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > BEC vantage    

BEC vantage

dawnmain
United Kingdom

BEC vantage

does anyone have experience of BEC vantage exam?
How does it compare to FCE in terms of level and content?
What materials did you use?
any information gratefully received.

19 Mar 2011      

Jayho
Australia

Is this of any use?

19 Mar 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

BEC Vantage is no where near the level of FCE in my opinion and I have taught both. Both are "technically" the same language level ( ie B2 of the language framework) BUT the grammar knowledge that you need for the FCE exam is just not the same for the BEC exam.

For the FCE exam the student has to know and be able to write using  a variety of styles whearas in the BEC exam it focuses mainly on letters, emails and report writing.
You need to have a very good general overview of grammar for the FCE exam but you can pass the BEC exam with less as it is more focused on business English and business situations...

I use Ready for FCE which is a fantastic coursebook for the FCE course and currently I am using Pass Cambridge BEC Vantage for the BEC students (however we are deciding at the moment whether to
keep this book and go for the updated version or try something new completely for the next course in August. Looking at Intelligent Business with the accompanying workbook which focuses on the BEC exam but we have not really decided yet...)

Personally I prefer the FCE coursebook and exam as it is more "rounded" and it covers many different areas of English very well. However if you are teaching adults who are wanting a business type course with an exam at the end, then a BEC course would be more appropriate.

19 Mar 2011